Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G4 iMac kernel panics coming out of sleep
#4505 09/29/09 09:43 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

This is VERY strange.

The machine is a G4 iMac (bought new in 20020 that is to me the most gorgeous, convenient, and creative of Job's hardware creations) always kernel panics in waking from sleep (no matter how sleep is induced) -- IF AND ONLY IF the machine has been normally and regularly used for at least, say, three to five days. But if I leave the machine off but plugged in for, say, three days or more (a "sabbatical" for the machine), the machine won't kernel panic waking from sleep for three to five days of normal, regular use. After those three to five days, waking from sleep again regularly produces kernel panics. The sabbaticals create short termed reprieves.

So I have two choices: Never sleep the machine or give it regular sabbaticals.

The machine never kernel panics apart from sleep. And the panic logs always point to a video component -- the monitor on the G4 iMac. The video component went bad under warranty and I had the monitor replaced in 2003. But the current problem of kernel panics on waking from sleep is recent (the last two years).

Does this ring a bell with anybody? And if so what did they do?

Re: G4 iMac kernel panics coming out of sleep
RHV #4561 10/01/09 05:02 AM

PMU battery dead by now maybe affecting it?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard