FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
faxing from iMac
#3066 09/06/09 03:30 PM
rubo Offline OP
OP Offline

For some reason I'm not aware of, I cannot send faxes from my computer. I've checked the settings in system prefs and they all look OK. The modem sounds when connecting to send, then the fax is stopped; no alert, nor an explanation telling me something is wrong.

Each time I want to fax a document I get the same result: no fax goes out; the fax list shows the job was stopped and put on hold till a later time. After resuming, the fax still does not go through.

The settings in Print and Fax are supposedly correct: all jobs are to be sent using internal modem (driver version 1.0; PPD file version 1.0).

The document I need to fax shows in the print dialog window that it will use the internal modem, it will not wait for dialing tone (but not always, see below), will use tone dialing, with the sound on.

After starting the job, sound comes on and I can hear the modem dialing, the fax status in the menu bar shows "connecting" for some time, then it disappears and there is no more sound, the job just stops.

I've tried faxing to a different number, and the same thing happens.

There is something I've noticed that may have something to do with the problem:
• When the modem starts, "the modem could not detect a dial tone" shows up, although I've unchecked "Wait for dial tone before dialing."
• Fax and internal modem icons show an exclamation point.
• The Fax List window shows the internal modem stopped.
• The Internal Modem window show no active jobs; the document I've tried unsuccessfully to fax shows in completed jobs.
• If I try to resume faxing while in the Internal Modem window, the Stop Jobs icon is highlighted with a red exclamation point. Cannot even delete the "stopped job."
• Sys Prefs>Print & Fax>Fax tab>Set up Fax Modem... button, gives me a Fax list Window where I can highlight it there & Start/Stop jobs shows; double clicking on the name will open another Window
• This window shows Delete, Hold, and Resume icons grayed out, therefore they are non-functioning.
• Only Start Jobs is fully shown, but clicking on it brings back the Stop Jobs icon.

I’ve tried resetting the printing system in Mac OS X 10.4.11
I've reinstalled Mac OS X 10.4.11 combo update as a last resort in order to see whether it would correct the problem.
I've tried sending another fax to my office but it didn't go through.
It always shows as a stopped job in the "internal modem" window saying it could not detect a dial tone.

"Dial tone detection" alert also shows when:
1 - sending a fax from an application, such as TexEdit, in the pull down modem window and it does not matter whether I deselect it or not; it just keeps on showing again. The modem shown on this window is "Internal Modem" and there is an exclamation mark next to the name;
2 - I look at modem settings, probably in system prefs (I forget exactly where) and deselect it, but it keeps showing when setting up the document to fax.

I know the modem shouldn't be "paused." It should be "idle" but:
• Clicking on "set up fax modem" in system prefs brings the fax list up where Internal modem shows "stopped", not "idle." This window shows "Delete", "Show info", and "Start Jobs" after having deleted the fax which I had not been able to send.
• The fax list of Internal modem shows all faxes I've tried to send as "cancelled" and this list is not editable.
• If I try to resume faxing while in the Internal Modem window, the "Stop Jobs" icon is highlighted with a red exclamation point. Cannot even delete the "stopped jobs" from before the OSX re-installation.
• Also before the re-installation, only "Start Jobs" was fully shown, but clicking on it brought back the "Stop Jobs" icon.

In any case, things keep being pretty much as they were before the re-installation.
Does anything above tell you what is going on?
I wonder what is going on here and whether someone has a clue about it and how to overcome the glitch.
I appreciate any help with this problem,
Rubo

iMac 2GHz power PC G5; Mac OS X (10.4.11); 250GB HD; 300GB and 160GB FW external drives; HP Deskjet 6988 printer; Epson Perfection 1260 scanner

rubo
Re: faxing from iMac
rubo #3073 09/06/09 04:38 PM

Note to readers of this thread: For additional info regarding this topic, see the original MFIF thread, which contains further dicussion in reply to the initial post.

(If you have trouble loading archived MFIF pages, consider trying Kevin M. Dean's solution.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
rubo #3340 09/08/09 10:10 PM

test with another faxmodem

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #3496 09/11/09 12:16 AM
rubo Offline OP
OP Offline

great idea!

rubo

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac