for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iBook Bricked??
#45276 06/21/17 03:51 PM
OP Offline

I'm pretty sure my iBook is toast, and I am planning to get rid of it. But, I was wondering if it is bricked if it gets hot while plugged in? It's at least responding in that way. Just curious. I still can't get it to turn on after being plugged in about 18 hours. I've heard of them coming back to life after being plugged in for many hours so I was testing that theory.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: iBook Bricked??
plantsower #45277 06/21/17 04:57 PM

NVRAM Reset
PMU Reset

Now that it's been plugged in for long enough to put at least a little charge on the PRAM battery, use the processes described above to see if that can resurrect your recalcitrant G4 PowerBook.....

Let us know.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
plantsower #45278 06/21/17 05:09 PM

I don't remember which version of OS X you've got on your iBook, but if it's compatible, have you tried these boot options?

Originally Posted By: Apple
Start up from macOS Recovery

macOS Recovery installs different versions of macOS depending on the key combination you press while starting up. Hold down one of these combinations immediately after pressing the power button to turn on your Mac. Release when you see the Apple logo or a spinning globe.
Command-R
Reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac, without upgrading to a later version.1
Option-Command-R
Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.2
Shift-Option-Command-R
Requires macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later Reinstall the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available.
1. If you're selling or giving away a Mac that is using OS X El Capitan or earlier, use Option-Command-R to make sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID.
2. If you haven't already installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later, Option-Command-R reinstalls the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available.

Maybe it's just your HDD that's deceased, not the entire computer.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MacManiac #45280 06/21/17 05:58 PM
OP Offline

OK, tried it. No cigar!!!

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
NVRAM Reset
PMU Reset

Now that it's been plugged in for long enough to put at least a little charge on the PRAM battery, use the processes described above to see if that can resurrect your recalcitrant G4 PowerBook.....

Let us know.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #45281 06/21/17 06:02 PM
OP Offline

Well, if you hadn't insisted I remove my old computer from my profile you would have known. tongue. Now I don't know. But, I believe it was the last upgrade for Tiger.

I tried the steps listed but nothing. I guess I will unplug it and give it a good burial at the recycling center. It could just be the hard drive but I don't need this computer so it's not worth a try.

Originally Posted By: artie505
I don't remember which version of OS X you've got on your iBook, but if it's compatible, have you tried these boot options?

Originally Posted By: Apple
Start up from macOS Recovery

macOS Recovery installs different versions of macOS depending on the key combination you press while starting up. Hold down one of these combinations immediately after pressing the power button to turn on your Mac. Release when you see the Apple logo or a spinning globe.
Command-R
Reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac, without upgrading to a later version.1
Option-Command-R
Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.2
Shift-Option-Command-R
Requires macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later Reinstall the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available.
1. If you're selling or giving away a Mac that is using OS X El Capitan or earlier, use Option-Command-R to make sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID.
2. If you haven't already installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later, Option-Command-R reinstalls the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available.

Maybe it's just your HDD that's deceased, not the entire computer.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45322 06/23/17 09:58 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Well, if you hadn't insisted I remove my old computer from my profile you would have known. tongue. Now I don't know. But, I believe it was the last upgrade for Tiger.

That makes your iBook old enough to have come with an install disc, which is now your only bootable alternative; if you can boot the machine from the disc you can still give it away, but with a caveat.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #45328 06/23/17 03:32 PM
OP Offline

That's what I thought. In fact, yesterday I went looking for a disk but couldn't find it. I could have tossed it if it, indeed, came with one. I keep all that stuff in one area so I know it's gone. I don't remember getting one, though. I had one for my OS 9 iMac (loved that machine) but don't remember anything past that.

That makes your iBook old enough to have come with an install disc, which is now your only bootable alternative; if you can boot the machine from the disc you can still give it away, but with a caveat.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #45332 06/23/17 06:32 PM

...yesterday I went looking for a disk but couldn't find it. I could have tossed it if it, indeed, came with one. I keep all that stuff in one area so I know it's gone. I don't remember getting one, though.

Your iBook G4 shipped with Tiger and definitely came with an install disc; the first version of OS X to avail itself of "Recovery" was Lion. (Apple offered Lion thumb drive installers, but that was the last freestanding installation option.)

I guess it's the recycling bin.

artie505 #45334 06/23/17 07:04 PM
OP Offline

Yeah, darn it. Not sure why I did that when I still had the computer. Ding bat!

...yesterday I went looking for a disk but couldn't find it. I could have tossed it if it, indeed, came with one. I keep all that stuff in one area so I know it's gone. I don't remember getting one, though.

Your iBook G4 shipped with Tiger and definitely came with an install disc; the first version of OS X to avail itself of "Recovery" was Lion. (Apple offered Lion thumb drive installers, but that was the last freestanding installation option.)

I guess it's the recycling bin.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard