FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reset MBPro-New User ID
#43715 02/22/17 06:33 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm passing on my MacBookPro, as shown below. While I do have the original, OS X Install DVD, which I believe has 10.6.x Snow Leopard on it, I would like to hand over the MBP with macOS 10.12.3.

Is there a way to complete a Reset (deleting all of my data) and have 10.12.3 be the Startup macOS and allow new, User ID setup.

If such is not possible, can the new UserID do an a single upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.12.3; or, does one have to do all the incremental, intermediate upgrades.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
Re: Reset MBPro-New User ID
pbGuy #43719 02/22/17 10:03 PM

The way I do it is to begin by erasing the drive (I usually do a multi-pass secure erase) then reinstalling the OS and stopping after the system boots into the OS but before choosing the language. That way the new user receives a pristine system.

Assuming you have a correct installation of Sierra this can all be done from the RecoveryDrive. To boot from the Recovery Drive power down then power up while holding ⌘R.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43720 02/22/17 11:20 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
... begin by erasing the drive ... then reinstalling the OS and stopping after the system boots into the OS but before choosing the language. That way the new user receives a pristine system. ....

Bear with me, as some steps aren't quite clear. I've read confused comments after these iMore Instructions ( Reset before selling ).

Please correct and add-to these step-by-steps are as follows:
1. Sign out of every, Apple related service related to the MBP being sold
2. Restart, Booting into Recovery (⌘R) and use DU to erase the HD (then, Quit DU)
3. MBP should still be in Recovery, making possible the selection of Reinstall macOS
4. ??What do I do next...

My Recovery DVD (original to this MBP) contains Snow Leopard, which requires 3 paid upgrades to get to Mavericks (after which upgrades are free). ...How do I install Sierra without having to use my own ID & PW - in order to get to the post, System Reboot but before Choosing the Language?

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
joemikeb #43721 02/22/17 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The way I do it is to begin by erasing the drive (I usually do a multi-pass secure erase) then reinstalling the OS and stopping after the system boots into the OS but before choosing the language. That way the new user receives a pristine system.

Assuming you have a correct installation of Sierra this can all be done from the RecoveryDrive. To boot from the Recovery Drive power down then power up while holding ⌘R.

Thanks for pointing out the recovery drive option, i.e. that you don't need an external backup to erase a drive.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
pbGuy #43722 02/23/17 12:19 AM

The Recovery Drive is a hidden partition on the MBP drive and no external drive is needed. When you select the install option it will download the latest compatible OS version from the internet and the only password that may be needed is the logon password for your internet connection.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43724 02/23/17 12:39 AM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Got it. Thanks.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard