FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
migration advice
#33123 02/15/15 11:57 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I currently have a pre-2008 Mac Pro (one of the first ones) and will be buying a 5K Retina iMac. I plan to migrate data as soon as I start the iMac for the first time, using Setup Assistant. My choices are to use Target Disk Mode via a Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter or to migrate via Ethernet.

As I understand it, Ethernet is faster. This video gives the instructions, which are basically described in Move your data to a new Mac. I have a few questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that Ethernet would be faster?
2. My Mac Pro has two Ethernet ports. Does it matter which one I use?
3. I am not using a network and have no experience with it. Does Migration Assistant tips and tricks have any relevance vis-a-vis downloading Migration and DVD/CD Update? I don't think so, but I wanted to ask.
4. Any other thoughts or words of wisdom?

Last edited by jchuzi; 02/15/15 12:12 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: migration advice
jchuzi #33126 02/15/15 08:16 PM

" . . . Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter."

I use the above method for doing the backup on an EXHD. I do have Apple's Time Capsule, but found using it for the Time Machine backup is a much longer process - either with Ethernet or by W-Fi - since the 2010 Time Capsule does not have the firewire or thunderbolt options.

The direct 400 FIREWIRE/THUNDERBOLT moves at a speed of a little more than 1 GB per minute = 135 GB in just under 2 hours . . . so your 800 should run even faster.

* early 2011 MBPro with Yosemite and Western Digital 250 GB EXHD.

jchuzi #33130 02/17/15 02:52 PM

I probably won't surprise you too much by mentioning that nominal bus speeds don't match actual transfer speeds. The type of data transmitted (e.g., small vs. large files etc.) affects overall speed, and varies by port type. But yes, Gigabit ethernet is generally faster than FW-800, certainly on a direct connection without interfering traffic, and w/jumbo frames enabled.

That said, I don't think there'll be all that much difference between FW800/Thunderbolt and Gb ethernet (both your Pro ports should be OK), the total transfer time obviously also dependent on the amount of data to be moved. That means you could pick the connection you're most familiar with (FW?), and not worry about losing time with the migration. Unless, of course, a wait of more than the absolute minimum drives you up the wall.

Regardless of hookup type, there may be a migration suspending dialog or two to deal with early in the process, so you'll want to keep an eye on that for—let's say—the first half hour or so (important if you plan to run it overnight and find it stopped at a dialog in the morning). Once that's done, however, things proceed without further delay.

It helps to run your regular source HD maintenance before migration, and to take care of any issues you might have been dealing with, otherwise (and depending on your migration settings) they might accompany you to your new Mac.

Until recently I always used the FW ports on 'just-in-case' multi-port HDs (FW-SATA-USB2), but defaulted to USB (2.0) for my recent migration from Leopard to Yosemite rather than going for a Thunderbolt-FW adapter. Ethernet would have been faster, but that was out because the source iMac died while running from an external HD. The migration took several hours, but I expected that, letting it run overnight.

Right now I'm using USB-3 as my main external HD connection. It's fast enough for me and (starting @ $30/TB) way cheaper than Thunderbolt, even with the need for powered USB-3 hubs (also cheap) because of the lack of USB daisy chaining. And I can live with the speed of legacy HDs that have USB-2. I'll jump on the Thunderbolt bandwagon when I have to.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #33134 02/18/15 12:07 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Thanks for mentioning jumbo frames. I had never heard of it before so I'll be sure to enable it when the time comes. I always make it a practice to run Disk Warrior before migrating so that everything is as clean as possible. As to external drives, I intend to splurge on Thunderbolt. I'm too old to deprive myself of a treat. smile

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #33251 03/03/15 12:31 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Well, it's done. I was unable to migrate via ethernet. I got the spinning gear for about 5 minutes before I decided to punt and go for Target Disk Mode. Total time to transfer data was about 90 minutes.

I'm busy exploring Yosemite so I can't say too much yet. I will say, however, that Apple makes some things very easy. As soon as everything was done, there was a popup window that told me that Photoshop CS5 needs Java 6 and gave me a link to download and install it (which I did). When I went to print, a popup window told me that I needed to update the printer driver and it provided a link. That worked too.

Jon

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard