for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
cleaning roller for LCD panel
#24154 11/13/12 01:08 PM
OP Offline

When removing the glass on a new imac you usually need to clean the LCD panel and the inside of the glass before reassembling, because they attract dust and lint while disassembled. The unprotected LCD panel will be damaged by contact with cloth or liquid, making cleaning it a special challenge. The lint removing sticky rollers are usually really expensive. (apple gets $75)

I spotted what looks like a cheap alternative here. Magic Stick Reusable Lint Rollers

Normally these rollers are extremely hard to find in the usa, or not in bulk quantities,

It doesn't say how wide the big one is, and doesn't specifically say it's safe for LCD panel cleaning, but it appears to fit the bill. If you're going to use one of these, be sure to store the roller in a clean plastic bag. (stiff antistatic bags work well) For fabric cleaning, washing the roller in water works to clean it. For dry work like this however, rolling it on the sticky side of label type material works best. You can wash the roller to clean it, but make sure there is NO water on the roller when you use it. (and it can't be towel dried)

While looking for cleaning sheets I found more rollers. There are some sticky rollers there, (considerably more expensive) as well as the regular reversed tape. Don't use reversed tape to clean an LCD panel! I wasn't able to find anyone selling the roller cleaning packs (similar to apple part # 922-8262) at reasonable prices.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: cleaning roller for LCD panel
Virtual1 #24157 11/13/12 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
It doesn't say how wide the big one is...

Indeed. But it does say it's intended for floor use (!), and FWIW that makes me think it's around 4-6".

alternaut moderator
Sticky Rollers!
#25080 02/19/13 10:52 PM
OP Offline

I think I have found some cheap sticky rollers for glass-protected LCD panel cleaning:

http://www2.pulsetv.com/3-PC-Sticky-Lint-Roller-Set/productinfo/5924/

Last edited by cyn; 02/19/13 11:55 PM. Reason: Post merged with existing topic.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard