FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Another "strange" question?
#11521 08/20/10 08:55 PM
MikeS Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm not sure which Forum should be "blessed" with this one, but here goes.
By accident I connected the Powerbook and MacMini with a FW cable whilst both were up and running - I was intending to do, in, using Virtual1 parlance, a FWTDM. smile
Obviously ( I think it is obvious blush) nothing happened and I immediately set about doing the FWTDM by the correct method.
Afterwards, I got to thinking - dangerous I know - why did nothing happen in the first instance, as, if I had been connecting an external drive via the FW cable to either of the computers, it would/should have been recognised.
SO, out of curiosity I thought I would consult the oracle/s and see what I am missing - not in general, just about this topic. laugh
Looking forward to anyones' explanations.
Thanks. Regards. Mike

Last edited by dianne; 08/20/10 10:15 PM. Reason: moved from Networking to the Mac Desktops & Notebooks forum.
Re: Another "strange" question?
MikeS #11522 08/20/10 10:04 PM

I think the easy answer is that in order for FireWire target disk mode to work both devices must be powered but only one of them may be booted.

When you hook two Macs together, the only way to accomplish that is to boot one into FireWire target disk mode (which essentially makes it an external HD rather than a computer).

An external HD, on the other hand, is powered but not booted.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MikeS #11526 08/20/10 10:37 PM

Actually, it's entirely possible, as of OS X 10.3, to connect two normally-booted Macs with a FireWire cable and share files between them. Such networking is called IP over Firewire. See for example Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Using IP over FireWire for a sketchy outline of how to proceed.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #11532 08/21/10 05:06 AM

Circumstances permitting, that sounds like an excellent alternative to ethernet; thanks for the link.

The first sentence of your first linked doc - "All Apple computers sold today include one or more FireWire ports." - is incorrect, though, because current MacBooks do not have a FireWire port. (Have you any idea how to report that to Apple without enrolling as a developer?)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #11540 08/21/10 05:36 PM
MikeS Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks artie for your reply, which I think I actually understood. That's a tribute to your explanation.
Also, thanks "dk" for your further enlightenment.
Sorry dianne - yes, "MacDesktops & Notebooks"" does seem quite obvious now you mention it.
And finally - no, only joking, its beginning to sound like a speech at an Awards Ceremony. blush
Regards. Mike

dkmarsh #11543 08/21/10 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Actually, it's entirely possible, as of OS X 10.3, to connect two normally-booted Macs with a FireWire cable and share files between them. Such networking is called IP over Firewire. See for example Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Using IP over FireWire for a sketchy outline of how to proceed.

You can turn on internet connection sharing for EoFW, but you have to be careful. A LOT of things don't expect that. nmap for example, crashes in flames if you try to run it over EoFW.

I used that awhile ago to get internet when visiting my parents, they had a cable modem and an imac and no router or wireless. So I used a firewire cable and got internet from their imac.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard