for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carbon copy Cloner 7
#65925 03/24/24 07:39 AM
OP Online

CCC has announced an impending upgrade from CCC6 to CCC7 and offered a free trial period. (There's a link that sounds like it leads you to the upgrade price, but it doesn't.)

There's a laundry list of new features, none of which appear to be particularly useful in my situation, and I'm wondering if anyone else has got any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Carbon copy Cloner 7
artie505 #65927 03/24/24 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
There's a laundry list of new features, none of which appear to be particularly useful in my situation....
I haven't seen the announcement but, as CCC does everything I need it to do, I likely wouldn't upgrade. That's the same with pretty much any software I use so, with upgrades, I mostly look to see if I would be getting enhanced security.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #65929 03/25/24 12:23 AM
OP Online

See CCC > Check For Updates for details.

I see some interesting stuff, but nothing that draws me in.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65931 03/25/24 12:30 AM

Where did you see that announcement? I can find no mention of it on Mike's website.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65932 03/25/24 12:33 AM
OP Online

It came up automatically the last time I launched CCC, but CCC > Check For Updates calls it up too.

Mike's website can be confusing as all get-out! In truth, I hate dealing with it!

artie505 #65938 03/25/24 02:20 PM

....but CCC > Check For Updates calls it up too.
That doesn't happen with mine. I get a message that says I'm up to date.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #65939 03/25/24 03:31 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by ryck
....but CCC > Check For Updates calls it up too.
That doesn't happen with mine. I get a message that says I'm up to date.
I guess you haven't opted into beta testing as I have. (Prefs > Updates > Update Settings > Inform me of beta releases)

Per Mike's office: "While CCC 7 is in beta testing it is not available for purchase. The CCC 6 license can be used to register the beta. Once CCC 7 is released the upgrade discount will be 25% the listed price for CCC 5 users and 50% the listed price for CCC 6 users." Sounds like the upgrade price gasn't been finalized yet.

artie505 #65941 03/25/24 04:12 PM

My notification just appeared this morning.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65945 03/25/24 06:11 PM

FWIW I don't see anything in CCC 7 that is particularly exciting, but I will pay the upgrade price, assuming it is reasonable. Not because it has anything I particularly need or want, rather in order to maintain compatibility with future versions of macOS. If the upgrade price is too high, I can live without CCC.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65946 03/26/24 05:13 PM
OP Online

The option to flag a particular snapshot, such as the one immediately preceding an update/grade, is a nice feature, but it seems to me that at this point, Mike is grasping at straws and exercising his imagination mightily to keep his app at least somewhat relevant now that its birthright has been taken from it.

Past upgrades have all cost $20, and I guess I'll pay again if that's the number, but if it's more than that, I'll have to evaluate my options.

artie505 #65948 03/26/24 07:46 PM

The option to flag a particular snapshot, such as the one immediately preceding an update/grade, is a nice feature, but it seems to me that at this point, Mike is grasping at straws and exercising his imagination mightily to keep his app at least somewhat relevant now that its birthright has been taken from it.
Mike isn't the only developer struggling to remain relevant as macOS and Apple silicon continue to evolve. Even some Apple "features" are arguably redundant. I am guessing you are defining CCC's "birthright" as creating a bootable clone. I just came across these instructions for booting from a previous system version using APFS snapshots. While it won't work on Intel systems, it seems to me another reason a bootable clone is redundant and unnecessary.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65949 03/27/24 06:42 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I just came across these instructions for booting from a previous system version using APFS snapshots. While it won't work on Intel systems, it seems to me another reason a bootable clone is redundant and unnecessary.
I'm confused!

You said "While it won't work on Intel systems....," and your linked article begins with "Shutdown your M1 Mac," but the article ends with "If you don’t have access to a Time Machine backup or an Intel Mac you can temporarily use, we have listed instructions to perform a factory reset of your M1 Mac to regain access to your SoftRAID volumes."

What am I not understanding?

artie505 #65950 03/27/24 01:26 PM

I'm confused!

You said "While it won't work on Intel systems....," and your linked article begins with "Shutdown your M1 Mac," but the article ends with "If you don’t have access to a Time Machine backup or an Intel Mac you can temporarily use, we have listed instructions to perform a factory reset of your M1 Mac to regain access to your SoftRAID volumes."

What am I not understanding?
I didn't understand that part either. But the instructions for M1 Macs works slick as a whistle.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard