for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iCloud login issue
#53540 03/03/20 07:52 AM
OP Online

I'm not at all certain in which forum this actually belongs, so, Mods, please move it if need be.
  • When I go to log in to icloud.com on my MBP I'm presented with this screen. (The blacked out email address is my correct Apple ID.)
  • If I hit "Continue with Password" my password is invariably rejected.
  • If I hit either "Cancel" or "Use a different Apple ID" I'm presented with this screen, and the exact same Apple ID/password combo that was rejected on the first screen gains me entry from the second one.
Does anyone else experience the same behavior?

In addition, I"ve never been able to log in to iCloud from my iPhone because of the same rejected password. (If there's an alternative screen as there is in Safari I"ve never gotten to it.)

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: iCloud login issue
artie505 #53545 03/03/20 04:59 PM

An obvious question (and answer?): is the Apple ID in the second screen the same as the one in the first screen? In the second screen you enter the ID, in the first it gives you a default ID.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #53547 03/03/20 06:19 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Ira L
An obvious question (and answer?): is the Apple ID in the second screen the same as the one in the first screen? In the second screen you enter the ID, in the first it gives you a default ID.

Originally Posted By: artie
...the exact same Apple ID/password combo that was rejected on the first screen gains me entry from the second one.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #53550 03/03/20 11:33 PM

I am seeing identical behavior.

And I have reported it via FeedBack Assistant that comes with being a beta tester.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/04/20 12:10 AM. Reason: Noted report

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53551 03/04/20 01:33 AM
OP Online

Thanks for that!

Did you check on your iPhone too?

artie505 #53553 03/04/20 04:33 PM

It is hard to check on iOS devices because when iCloud comes up they immediately jump to biometric logon (facial or fingerprint recognition). If you reject that option, then it goes directly to the logon to another account screen. I will have to work on getting around that.

NOTE: I had no problem logging on to iCloud using Firefox 72.0.2 because it goes directly to the "login with another Id" screen.

MORE EVIDENCE: I have encountered, and reported, analogous behavior logging on to the Music Store and App Store, where it refuses to accept a manually typed in Apple ID password, but will accept the same password if it is copied and pasted from another app such as Keychain Access, 1Password, or even Notes. I assumed that was due to a glitch in Apple's password server, and there have been reports of Apple Password server problems, but given Music Store and App Store along with Safari and Safari Technology Preview all have Webkit underpinnings, Webkit would appear to be a "product of interest" in troubleshooting the issue.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53559 03/05/20 07:42 AM
OP Online

I tried to find the iPhone screen on which I had my problem to see if there's an alternative screen, but I couldn't find it, and, anyhow, I just realized that any iOS issues I may have are water under the bridge, because I'n stuck with 12.4.5.

artie505 #53599 03/08/20 10:04 AM
OP Online

I just tried to get into the iTunes App Store to d/l an app to my iPhone, and my p/w wasn't accepted nor was I presented with an alternate screen.

This is consistent with previous behavior; I've never had my Apple p/w accepted under any circumstances on this phone.

Guess it's time to call AppleCare.

artie505 #53701 03/17/20 06:12 PM

I just got a response from Apple.

In Safari and other webkit based browsers…
  • When you go to icloud.com this is the inititial logon screen that appears.
  • When you click on "Continue With Password" this screen appears.
  • I am logging onto iCloud so logically (or at least it would seem logical) I enter my Apple ID password and the logon FAILS 🤯.
  • If you enter the password for the Mac user account iCloud opens‼️❓‼️
  • If you click Cancel in either screen this screen appears and the Apple ID password is the one to use.
To my knowledge I have not seen this behavior prior to MacOS 10.15.3 and it continues in 10.15.4. Am I missing something or is this confusing and unexpected behavior?

Now I am wondering where else does this confusion occur in MacOS and its Apps?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53703 03/17/20 09:34 PM

This seems analogous to the use of Touch ID/Face ID in iOS to authenticate for purchases from the App Store. There, it makes sense: you're in effect using your device user passcode to bypass the cumbersome process of entering an alphanumeric string.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #53704 03/17/20 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
This seems analogous to the use of Touch ID/Face ID in iOS to authenticate for purchases from the App Store. There, it makes sense: you're in effect using your device user passcode to bypass the cumbersome process of entering an alphanumeric string.
Agreed, but it is confusing when two different passwords and indeed userid password pairs are be used to accomplish the same thing. Some rewording of the prompt to emphasize which password is expected could solve the confusion easily. I have revised my trouble report to change it to a suggestion for improvement 😜

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53715 03/19/20 02:51 AM
OP Online

I first ran into the issue when I got my iPhone in November, so it probably goes back to 10.15.1, 10.15.2 at the very least.

Particularly considering that it's coming from Apple, it's bizarrely unintuitive, and your suggestion that the prompt be worded differently, I'll say "very differently," is right on the mark. (I can't think of a single other instance in which the OS and the Internet cross paths like that.)

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard