for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help! Stuck in "login" shell
#26170 07/03/13 06:07 AM
OP Online

Whenever I restart my deuced Mac(hina) I run this command, following which I hit command-Q and am presented with this pop-up. I click on "Close," and generally, all goes as expected thereafter.

Every once in a while, though, the next time I launch Terminal it opens to this (which I assume is a login shell), and I have not been able to figure out how to get out of it other than by restarting.

Neither command-Q nor control-C has worked for me, nor have exit -f and exit -0 (which I found here, the only Google result that sounded meaningful).

Further, I've been unable to terminate the login process via Activity Monitor, because it relaunches immediately.

I've obviously missed something, but what is it?

Thanks.

Last edited by artie505; 07/03/13 09:33 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Help! Stuck in "login" shell
artie505 #26171 07/03/13 11:22 AM

Tried ⌘-W, ⌘-N, or ⌘-T?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #26172 07/03/13 11:29 AM
OP Online

Never occurred to me to get down to basics; thanks for the suggestions.

I'll report back next time I run into the issue (which is not terribly frequently).

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #26174 07/03/13 04:30 PM

If you hit Command-Q, you terminate the shell and all its running processes. That means you're quitting DNScrypt, too, and you aren't getting its protection. If you're going to quit the shell, you might as well not be running it at all.

You have a few choices:

1. Don't quit the shell. Leave it running.

2. Use the "nohup" shell command. That command detaches a running process from the shell, so that it stays running if you quit the shell.

3. There is a GUI front end for Mac OS X for dnscrypt. You can find it at
http://opendns.github.io/dnscrypt-osx-client/

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #26222 07/10/13 06:30 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: tacit
If you hit Command-Q, you terminate the shell and all its running processes.

That got me to do some experimenting, and here's what I learned...

1. I restart my deuced Mac(hina), and I've got two dnscrypt-proxy processes running.

2. I run my Terminal command.

3. A third dnscrypt-proxy process is spawned.

4. I quit Terminal (command-T) despite the termination warning.

5. I run the command again with these results, which suggest that the process that was supposed to have been terminated wasn't.

6. And indeed, the process is still running...dunno what that's all about.

Which brings me back to my original question, i.e. when the "login" process doesn't terminate as it's supposed to, how do I terminate it?

tacit #26223 07/10/13 06:55 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: tacit
There is a GUI front end for Mac OS X for dnscrypt. You can find it at
http://opendns.github.io/dnscrypt-osx-client/

That calls for clarification of the present issue: I am running the dnsC GUI, and here is how I got to where I now am now...

Rather than revisiting this thread, I'll reference it.

When the current dnsC update was released I advised the dev that I was no longer getting the Console entries I had been getting, and he sent me the Terminal command I run whenever I restart. (He was unaware that dnsC had been "refetching certificates" every hour...maybe unaware that it was doing it at all, although that doesn't seem likely.)

In a later exchange with a tech I pointed out that the command's running once, immediately after a restart, and failing thereafter suggested that something that was supposed to run automatically at startup wasn't doing so, and he agreed and said he would discuss it with the dev and let me know what was up, and that's the last I heard from from the dnsC team...about eight months ago.

So I'm now wondering whether the command I run is redundant overkill or is necessary to dnsC's functionality, in which case I may be the only person on the face of the planet who's actually getting functionality??? confused

dkmarsh #26246 07/12/13 09:24 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Tried ⌘-W, ⌘-N, or ⌘-T?

Thanks, but no go; those commands all do the expected, and the next window, tab, whatever is still a login shell, and each new shell spawns a new process. (I've got 10 processes running at the moment.)

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard