for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
recovering corrupt excel 2011 spreadsheet
#13681 01/11/11 03:58 PM
OP Offline

A mileage spreadsheet on our drobo apparently decided to grow complete garbage in it, or close to it as near as I can tell. It seems we don't back that folder up either. Is there anywhere else we might salvage from, a cache folder or backup hidden somewhere?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: recovering corrupt excel 2011 spreadsheet
Virtual1 #13682 01/11/11 05:22 PM

Which application created the spreadsheet?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #13683 01/11/11 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Which application created the spreadsheet?

check the thread title:

"recovering corrupt excel 2011 spreadsheet"
cool

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
Virtual1 #13690 01/12/11 02:18 AM
OP Offline

The answer came from a surprising direction. First some insight when opening the file, it looked like it was compressed/encoded data, but there was evidence suggesting it came from a macintosh. I was thinking possible memory corruption got dumped to the file.

Then we discussed things further, who edited the file on the 7th at 1pm? What did you do? wait, you don't have office on that machine... how did you... oh. Numbers. And how did you save it? You just saved it? oh. lovely. This came as a surprise because I was just realizing the filename had NO extension on it. Not .XLS, and NOT .numbers -- I'm not really sure how that happened. But he somehow deleted the excel XLS file and created a new (no extension) pages file. I don't know if Numbers is singlehandedly responsible for both of those actions or not, but if it is, that was quite rude.

I really hate that about pages and numbers, insisting on saving in their native format by default and automatically whenever you open something other than their native. Sure, you can Export to the other format. But really, every single time you edit it? It's a shameless act from Apple, making it deliberately inconvenient to work with other formats besides their own. I'd call it shady behavior.

so, case closed. but he nuked all the formulas and a fair chunk of the formatting when he did that, so now it's his job to fix the formulas. Penance.

And that folder's been added to the incremental backup roster.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard