FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iOS, macOS and WhatsApp
#53748 03/22/20 04:15 PM
iBozz Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm not sure where to post this, but I hope this is the correct sub-forum.

I do not have a smartphone but what with the Covid-19 self-isolation I would like to join WhatsApp as several local groups are providing information and help via that application.

As far as I can tell, there is as yet no version for either iOS or macOS, at least without having a smartphone to set up first. The various "WhatsAppalike" apps on the App Store do not, to my untutored and ignorant mind, lend themselves to directly replacing the smartphone route.

Of course, I may be being stupid here and completely missing the point, but with a threatened three months self-isolation (I'm in a couple of at risk categories as well as being a tad long in the tooth) I feel joining the local WhatsApp communities would be advisable and I would prefer not to get a smartphone unless I really have so to do.

Is there a way that I can install WhatsApp on my iPad and/or iMac without having a smartphone with which to start and maintain connection?

I have an iPad Pro 10.5" Model MPME2B/A with 512GB capacity and 269GB spare running under iOS v13.3.1 with a 3G/4G SIM card installed together with a 2017 iMac running under macOS Catalina v10.15.3 (19D76) with a 2TB HD and 64GB RAM.

Any advice even, if needs must, "overcome your bizarre deep-seated prejudices and get a smartphone" would be most welcome.

For the record, I have a "fonerange T180" rugged and tough phone which, as I work backstage in a theatre, allows me to drop it and stand on it with impunity! I'm not sure an iPhone would take too kindly to being abused in quite the same way!

Stay safe during these bizarre times, one and all - and thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by iBozz; 03/22/20 04:20 PM.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017); 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5; 2TB HD; 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM; Radeon Pro 580 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5" Model MPME2B/A with 512GB capacity; iPhone SE 2020 256GB
Re: iOS, macOS and WhatsApp
iBozz #53751 03/22/20 07:41 PM
iBozz Offline OP
OP Offline

I received an email saying there was a reply but it has disappeared.

It suggested that for the Desktop version, available from the App Store, no smartphone was needed. Unfortunately, when you first open the App on the imac it displays a screen saying:

Quote:
Open WhatsApp on your phone.

Back to square one!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017); 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5; 2TB HD; 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM; Radeon Pro 580 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5" Model MPME2B/A with 512GB capacity; iPhone SE 2020 256GB
iBozz #53752 03/22/20 07:50 PM

After rethinking my answer: You will need a device capable of handling SMS text messages with a phone number and paid up account even to setup the WhatsApp APP on either iOS or MacOS devices. All but the cheapest throwaway (a.k.a. "burner") cell phones will suffice, you don't need a "smart phone".

An alternative you might consider is Nextdoor.com , a website dedicated to providing connectivity within a chosen neighborhood or neighborhoods. All you need for that is Safari or whatever your preferred browser is.

I just noticed you are in the U.K. I don't know if Nextdoor is available there or not. Hopefully it is. It is very popular in our neighborhood in Fort Worth, TX U.S.A.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/22/20 07:54 PM. Reason: U.K. addendum

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53753 03/22/20 07:59 PM
iBozz Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks.

Would I have to keep the cheap phone or, once I'd set up WhatsApp could I ditch it and go back to my tough phone, pretty much essential for work (when the theatres reopen!).

I confess that I have little idea how WhatsApp works, never having seen it.

Thanks for the nextdoor.com suggestion. I'm in the UK so will check it out.

Last edited by iBozz; 03/22/20 08:00 PM.

iBozz #53754 03/22/20 08:11 PM

The critical item is not the phone itself it is the telephone number assigned to the device that is essential. SMS messages are addressed to and from an active telephone number associated with a device capable of sending and receiving SMS text messages. If your big heavy theater phone is SMS capable and text message is activated on the account associated with it you can use that number. The device does not have to be physically colocated to your iMac or iPad to use WhatsApp although it would have to be present for the initial set up.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53755 03/22/20 09:01 PM
iBozz Offline OP
OP Offline

Sorry to be so dense!

My brick phone, which as no touch screen, can send and receive texts and make and receive calls (naturally, or it wouldn't be a phone!) but I can't install apps on it so I may be getting there - slowly.

If I beg, borrow or steal a phone which can download the WhatsApp app, I infer that I could put my SIM in it, download the app, set up on the iMac and iPad, and then switch the SIM back into my beloved and prehistoric phone.

If I understand that correctly, I can get going when i can get the relevant phone to do the deed.

Thanks for your help and advice, it is very much appreciated. laugh

iBozz #53756 03/22/20 09:46 PM

My error. You do need a smartphone! I overlooked the setup required the WhatsApp app on an iPhone or similar device in order to set up on the iMac and iPad. 😱

All I can think of at this point is you MIGHT be able to borrow an iPhone, switch the SIM card with your brick phone, install WhatsApp on the borrowed phone and use that to setup the WhatsApp apps on your iMac and/or iPad and then switching the SIM card back to your brick phone. But that is a big MIGHT and there are no guarantees offered or implied that it would work or that you wouldn't have to go through the whole rigamarole again and again.

If you just had to use WhatsApp, you might be able to save some money by purchasing an older used iPhone for the setup and number but then you could run into issues with WhatsApp app compatibility plus there would still be the ongoing cost of the second line which you would have to keep active.

I was confident that it could work, but I should have looked deeper into the situation before I spoke. blush

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54821 06/02/20 05:56 PM
iBozz Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, I've bought an iPhone SE 2020 but not because the theory of borrowing a smartphone didn't work. Just why I yielded and bought one is for another day.

WhatsApp on the iMac requires the linked smartphone to be close to the iMac which itself must be connected to WhatsApp by the same wifi network (I have three at home and they both must be connected to the same one), being connected via the mobile phone network and not the wifi does not seem to work. If the smartphone is "off-line" for any reason then the Mac's app won't connect.

A worthy theory but, alas, proven not to be viable when tested.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Last edited by iBozz; 06/02/20 05:57 PM.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard