for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
App Store alert!
#50055 09/28/18 03:21 AM
OP Online

I just visited the App Store in Mojave - I HATE its new format! - and found that the macOS installers that had been available to me in High Sierra have disappeared, so if you're an archive freak as I am, d/l yours while you're still able.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: App Store alert!
artie505 #50066 09/28/18 06:48 PM

Thanks for the HEADS UP!

Not sure who is on the committee when changes are proposed for OS, but somehow "somebody" thinks that change is always good.

P.S. I am still bitter they got rid of the "Mosaic Screensaver" back in the Lion's day! How hard could it be to have updated it along the way? Instead we get those 12 "photo" jobs that vary little from one to the next. Grrrrr!

MG2009 #50078 09/29/18 05:37 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: MG2009
I am still bitter they got rid of the "Mosaic Screensaver" back in the Lion's day! How hard could it be to have updated it along the way? Instead we get those 12 "photo" jobs that vary little from one to the next. Grrrrr!

Similarly...

I use Flurry as my screensaver...love it particularly because I imagine it as a fantastic alien creature living behind my MBP's screen, and through Panther, it included an infrequent effect that made it look as if my alien was "charging" at the screen in an effort to break free, which made the illusion all the more real, but that effect disappeared in either Tiger or Leopard. frown

I've always wondered about the logic behind that change.

Did others find it as disconcerting as I found it fascinating, and request its deletion?

Aside: I often watch Flurry instead of iTunes Visualizer; it's so dynamic that it pretty much keeps time with the music, and watching it is relaxing as opposed to the "work" that goes into watching Visualizer's almost overwhelming assault on one's eyes.

I'm not a fan of Visualizer's evolution; its initial presentation was much easier to watch than its current incarnation.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50080 09/29/18 01:31 PM

SOAPBOX ALERT

For many years I have used BOINC screensaver. I figure my computers might as well be doing something useful instead of just sitting there using power. I now have credit for millions of computational units from each of SETI at home, Einstein at Home, and MilkyWay at Home computational units, and I have just added Climate Prediction to my list of projects. There are a number of interesting projects put there that can make good use of your unused computing power and it is a good feeling to know you are contributing to the advance of science.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #50095 09/30/18 06:08 PM

As an aside to my earlier post :

Has anyone found a 3rd-party app comparable to Apple's old "MOSIAC SCREENSAVER?"

Many thanks,
MG2009

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard