FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Java: Do I need it?
#40051 04/25/16 02:38 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I have now been bothered twice in one week about updating Java. Did I need it? I always just upgrade like I do with flash, but I did not at the end it says: The application will run with unrestricted access and may put your computer at risk.

Hence, I don't want it unless I have to have it. I can't remember even what it does.

Re: Java: Do I need it?
kevs #40059 04/25/16 03:03 PM

Java is…
  • A sophisticated object-oriented programming language
  • allows development of applications that will run cross platform without the necessity of re-compiling for each platform
  • a runtime environment that enables a program written in Java to run on your particular processor and OS environment
  • used to create full blown stand alone cross platform applications such as MoneyDance and OpenOffice as well as supporting specific functionalities in applications such as the database portion of NeoOffice/LibreOffice
  • used to create complex applets that only run within the confines of a browser but that is NOT to be confused with JavaScript
  • used for server side servlets that perform many functions on database and other servers.
Java was…
  • Origionally developed by Sun Microsystems
  • The Java Virrual Machine (JVM) on the Mac was originally ported by Apple from the Sun Microsystems master which inevitably resulted in the Apple version lagging well behind the Sun releases. Sun Microsystems was purchased by Oracle and Apple wisely ceded the development of the OS X version to Oracle
  • originally considered a very secure language because of restrictions and protections that were designed into the language and JVM but vulnerabilities have been found not so much in the design of Java as in its implementation by Sun and later Oracle.
Oracle is very conscious of this vulnerability and has added significant new protections to the JVM and continues to do so. Thus the frequent updates. NOTE If you do not shut down your browsers before installing a Java update the JavaAppletPlugin.plugin may not be properly installed and can result in repeated requests to update the JVM.
[b]You need Java if…[/ b]
  • You run applications that require the JVM for operation.
  • You visit web sites that use Java applets — most commonly game sites
  • If you do not have Java installed and an application or applet needs the JVM to run, OS X will direct you to the Oracle web site to download Java

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40412 05/11/16 04:30 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, sorry for delay. I may have not checked the add this to watched topics.

You verdict, I think you don't worry about that security risk warning.

I don't do gaming, but my guess is I need it..? Not sure. My guess is yes..

kevs #40413 05/11/16 06:26 PM

I have some apps critical to me that are written in Java and need the Java Virtual Machine to run so I have Java, but I do take reasonable precautions.

If you are going to have Java on your computer you should always have the very latest version. That is the best way to avoid any attendant risk as Oracle has a vested financial interest in patching any vulnerabilities as soon as possible. If you do not have Java installed and an app, or applet, requests access to the Java virtual Machine the recent versions of OS X will direct you to Oracle's download site.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40414 05/11/16 06:54 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, I downloaded it now, it went ok but frustratingly, unlike the check flash version page which works well, the check Java version page,isjust is sheet of blank white after I click it.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard