FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Disk Warrior 5
#32223 12/20/14 03:37 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

A fairly comprehensive review here by a MacInTouch user of the newest version of Disk Warrior.

It was especially informative to read about the "bootable" flash drive version of DW5.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: Disk Warrior 5
Ira L #32226 12/20/14 04:36 PM

The "bootable" flash drive sounds useful, but the old fallback of running DW from a bootable volume still seems like the best idea.

As long as you've got a bootable external drive there's never been any need to buy a new disc to boot a new Mac.

Am I missing something?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #32228 12/20/14 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Am I missing something?

What you may be missing is the comment about the fact that the new flash drive with DW5 only boots into Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard, while users of the subsequent OS X versions need to boot from the Recovery partition on their Macs, and then use Terminal to launch DiskWarrior from the flash drive. If you use FileVault, you have to use Terminal too, even if you can boot from the flash drive.
There is an option to create dedicated boot (flash) drives for specific OSes; hence another comment about the need for more than one bootable drive (of any kind) when you have (to deal with) several Macs running different versions of Mac OS X including those beyond Snow Leopard.

The comments are not incorrect, but the issue is with Mac OS X, and not so much with Alsoft. It also underlies Alsoft's choice to move from CD to flash drive as distribution medium, even though you cannot transparently accommodate every possible configuration with a single medium. There's nothing to stop you from installing DW on a HD, be it internal or external.

alternaut moderator
artie505 #32232 12/20/14 09:39 PM

Micromat has a similar approach on their ProToGo 4 and comes with several "profiles" that allow it to be used on multiple Macs and ProSoft Engineering's Drive Genius 4 now comes on or can be ported to what they call a "Bootwell" drive. Obviously Mavericks and Yosemite have made utility developers lives more interesting, as in the Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
alternaut #32235 12/21/14 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
What you may be missing is the comment about the fact that the new flash drive with DW5 only boots into Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard, while users of the subsequent OS X versions need to boot from the Recovery partition on their Macs, and then use Terminal to launch DiskWarrior from the flash drive.

From Alsoft's DiskWarrior 5 System Requirements page:

Quote:
The DiskWarrior Recovery flash drive ships with the ability to start up any Intel Mac that originally came with OS X 10.4, 10.5 or 10.6 installed. If you have a newer Intel Mac, you can use the included DiskWarrior Recovery Maker to update the DiskWarrior Recovery flash drive to start up your newer Mac.[emphasis added]

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #32260 12/22/14 04:13 PM

You're right, of course, with your quote from DW5's SysReqs; that option was what I alluded to in the sentence following the one you quoted from me. laugh However, it doesn't change the Terminal route for those who want to get cracking with DW5 before making their custom boot drive. Also remember that I was referring to posts from others in a MIT Reader Report, as well as Artie's take on them.

alternaut moderator
dkmarsh #32261 12/22/14 04:23 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Originally Posted By: alternaut
What you may be missing is the comment about the fact that the new flash drive with DW5 only boots into Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard, while users of the subsequent OS X versions need to boot from the Recovery partition on their Macs, and then use Terminal to launch DiskWarrior from the flash drive.

From Alsoft's DiskWarrior 5 System Requirements page:

Quote:
The DiskWarrior Recovery flash drive ships with the ability to start up any Intel Mac that originally came with OS X 10.4, 10.5 or 10.6 installed. If you have a newer Intel Mac, you can use the included DiskWarrior Recovery Maker to update the DiskWarrior Recovery flash drive to start up your newer Mac.[emphasis added]

The manual that comes on the DW5 flash drive says the following:
"This utility application will create a DiskWarrior Recovery Disk by copying the contents of an OS X Recovery disk and a serialized DiskWarrior application to a suitable flash drive. Once completed, you will be able to start up the computer from the DiskWarrior Recovery disk and run DiskWarrior. It is recommended that you do this for both maintenance and emergencies."

The "suitable flash drive", it goes on to say, will be erased. So I don't think you would want to do this with the original flash drive on which DiskWarrior ships. But the newly created recovery disk can itself be updated by the the Recovery Maker utility so you would only need this one newly created flash drive or disc through future System versions or even future versions of DiskWarrior.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #32506 01/16/15 04:57 PM

I have a couple USB3 flash drives here, and YYMV. Some are fast, others notsomuch. Remember, if they say "USB3 SPEED!" they mean the interface, that's no guarantee that the flash ON the drive can match the speed of the USB bus. Read the fine print. Or better yet, read reviews that DO speed tests.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Ira L #40312 05/06/16 09:10 PM

I've been using Disk Warrior from the earliest version 2. It worked fine until version 4 came out. It would slow down my mac and crash it so I had to reinstall OS X. After almost 4 years I have read all those "nice" reviews about this new update on version 5 and I purchased it again, which I regret now very much. Although, I have to say that It didn't crash my macs like version 4 did, but it still slows them down more then twice. Before I run DW 5 on my macs, I've tested the speed of the drives with 'Blackmagic Disk Speed Test' (this is a simple softwere to test read and write speed of your hard drive) and after running Disk Warrior 5 the speed of my macs become twice or more slower then it was before. I will never ever buy anything from Alsoft and would never ever recomend it to anyone.

serge #40314 05/07/16 12:56 AM

My experience with DW has been nothing but positive. Each version seems to work better than the last, and version 5 is super fast.

EDIT: If anyone is looking for alternatives to DW, Other World Computing is having a sale on Drive Genius and Data Rescue. I'm tempted, but since I have both DW and TechTool Pro (plus a Time Machine backup and two clones), I'm not convinced hat I need either one.

Serge: Welcome to FTM!

Last edited by jchuzi; 05/07/16 01:22 AM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #40320 05/07/16 10:39 AM

I agree that DW is a great tool. What I like about version 5 is that it now gives you a "health status" report on all drives, which means you only have to run DW when the report drops out of the green zone.

Prior to reading this thread, I'd never even taken the flash drive out of the case. Much easier/quicker to just run DW from a backup drive.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard