FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can't Open a Special Disk Image
#36518 10/19/15 05:51 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a disk image with NB stuff on it. Some time ago, I created a password to open it. But when I now put in the password, it does not mount on the desktop. It appears in Disk Utility. But when I try to open it there, it does not mount. It has been in regular use for add-to information for two years. Just the other day, I opened it and had no problem.

Any help much appreciated.

Re: Can't Open a Special Disk Image
RHV #36519 10/19/15 06:21 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

This is crazy. I made a duplicate of the misfiring disk image. The duplicate works perfectly. How can that be?

RHV #36520 10/19/15 08:24 PM

Chances are that you did as others have done in the past and simply spaced out when you entered your password.

Years ago, Virtual1 posted a great story about how he did just that when creating a password, and he then detailed the script he wrote to recover the data he had inadvertently locked away from himself.

Happy to hear that all is well! cool

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #36523 10/19/15 09:20 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

No, no -- I entered the simple password carefully and ten times. Nada. Did the usual things -- restarted and tried DU.

I'm not willing to bother others until I've been repeatedly bothered myself. I did miss doing one thing early on -- -- creating a duplicate.

The original still won't open. I have the original and the duplicate side by side in a folder. I can"t open the original-- I can the duplicate. And I could open the original yesterday. If I did something bad to the original between yesterda and today-- so it won't open-- how come the duplicate created today opens?

I understand why sometimes 1 + 1 does not equal 2. But I can't figure this one out!!

RHV #36524 10/19/15 09:35 PM

Just thought of this... If you can see your disk image in Disk Utility I think you can run "Repair Disk" on it...may help.

Edit: If you can't see it, you can drag it to Disk Utility's sidebar.

Last edited by artie505; 10/19/15 10:14 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
RHV #36536 10/20/15 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: RHV
This is crazy. I made a duplicate of the misfiring disk image. The duplicate works perfectly. How can that be?

iirc, kextcaches can cause disk image mounting problems, and may be specific to a disk image, by its inode. In that case, duplicating it will allow hdiutil to create new cache files instead of using the old (corrupted) ones when mounting the new image

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard