FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A Delay in being Charged by the Mac App Store
#17344 09/07/11 09:22 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

I downloaded Lion from the Mac App Store on Sept 3. My Visa credit card, which forms part of my Apple account, has not been charged as of now. I just checked.

I find that surprising -- for I had no pre-existing credits with Apple and would assume that the charging would always occur within (about) 24 hours after the downloading. (The credit card is up to date and otherwise unproblematic.)

An undeserved freebie would be unwelcome. I'd have to spend time to report it to Apple.

Has anybody experienced a delay from the Mac App Store in charging an unproblematic credit card?

Re: A Delay in being Charged by the Mac App Store
RHV #17345 09/07/11 11:37 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

Being impatient is bad habit of mine. Sigh! Just checked my email now. Apple has just notified me of the charge to my credit card.

But it should be quicker!!!

RHV #17349 09/08/11 03:16 PM

My experience with the App Store as well as iTunes is that it takes anywhere from 24 to 72 hours for the charge to hit my credit card — sometimes longer if the charge was on a weekend. Often two or more separate transactions/purchases will appear on the same charge. For example today I received a charge notice from Apple containing two separate App Store purchases and an iTunes store music purchase that took place over a three day period. Those hit my credit card as a single transaction.

Apparently Apple bundles their charges and submits them in a batch rather than submitting each charge individually. Given the way banks charge merchants for credit card purchases this makes a lot of sense financially.

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/09/11 02:36 AM. Reason: Upon re-reading this, even I could not follow my tortured phrasing

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #17350 09/08/11 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Apparently Apple bundles their charges and submits them in a batch rather than submitting each charge individually. Given the way merchants are charged for by the banks for credit card purchases this makes a lot of sense financially.

yup. imagine getting on the music store and buying 10 different tracks and getting 10 separate charges, that would be bordering on annoying. Especially if you had one click buying enabled.

- Nathan

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard