for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Which Adobe CS Suite to Buy?
#8800 03/13/10 05:25 AM
OP Offline

I'm upgrading to a new computer and looking at which CS Suite would be best suited for me. I'm undecided between Production Premium and Web Premium. I'm mostly print right now and use Photoshop and Illustrator. I want to learn Flash. I use Quark for layout and use Filemaker for databasing and Office because I don't have a choice. I'm not sure what everything else in the box does. I'm working with a web designer who is putting together a complex site. I have a simpler site in mind that I want to build, but I may really get into it. I'm pretty bright and completely self-taught with all this computer stuff, so I want to buy something that will give me a lot of options to noodle around, but Dreamweaver seems out of my league and probably not worth the time it would take to learn with so much other stuff around right now. Any thoughts?

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
Re: Which Adobe CS Suite to Buy?
slolerner #8802 03/13/10 10:56 AM

Production Premium is aimed at filmmaking, special effects, and video editing, not at print production. It lacks Adobe Acrobat and Dreamweaver, does not include InDesign (Adobe's page layout tool, which frankly is so superior to Quark that once I started using it I never looked back--and I've been using Quark for more than a decade!), and has compositing and special effects packages you likely won't need.

It's hard to say what package actually meets the needs you lay out here. I'd actually suggest Web Standard plus the standalone version of InDesign, or perhaps Design Premium.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Re: Which Adobe CS Suite to Buy?
slolerner #8807 03/13/10 06:37 PM

Considering all the options and my relative ignorance of DP, I usually recommend people call adobe directly and discuss their needs. Things like this usually require asking a lot of probing questions to figure out what's going to fit your needs best.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard