FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Appleworks address labels weirdo
#7146 12/30/09 05:06 PM
OP Offline

Takes deep breath.

OK. My customer database from ClarisWorks opens up fine in AppleWorks excepting the vital detail (so far the first one I've found) that empty fields won't close up when label layout is printed. This is (self-evidently) vital.

Have inspected the layout and yes they are ticked move up and move left.

I've also found another person with IDENTICAL problem on the Apple Support Discussions forum*, and that person was told where to find a Script to solve this exact scenario.

Following that trail, I have found the zip file, downloaded it, unzipped it.

I didn't know what I was supposed to do next. How would I know? I've never had to instal a downloaded script before! So, I dropped it into the AppleWorks folder in the Applications folder, thinking Appleworks would find it there and run. Then restarted AppleWorks.

No result.

What next? Reboot? Put the script somewhere else? Yes yes yes I have googled this question before bothering you'all yet again.

HELP ME PLEASE. Thank you.

*The discussion - now closed, regrettably, otherwise I'd ask them! - is here:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2137328&tstart=105

ps. it occurs to me that if this is a known issue, why didn't AppleWorks fix it themselves????

Re: Appleworks address labels weirdo
Bensheim #7148 12/30/09 05:40 PM

Ahh, the joys of using unsupported software (a reference to your love of AW you made in another post smirk ).

If I recall from my previous use of Appleworks, it has a Script Menu—it looks like a paper scroll—and appears on the menu bar. You access your scripts there from within Appleworks. There is also a Scripting Folder for Appleworks that appears in the same location as the Starting Points folder. This should be where you would drop the script you obtained. Sorry, no longer use AW and can't double-check the exact folder location. Since I'm not clear on what the script you are using is supposed to do, this is the best I can say for now.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Bensheim #7149 12/30/09 06:07 PM

I will attempt a generic answer, but i have *not* *tested* the script of which you speak. BTW, which script did you mean... réparer AW_docs3 or DB calc2textGUI+ ?

Anyway, since those are both script "documents" (as opposed to a droplet or an applet), i assume they would be run from within AppleWorks itself. AppleWorks has a special folder in which to put such scripts:

/Applications/AppleWorks (US English)/AppleWorks Essentials/Scripts/

[your full path may differ, the important part is "AppleWorks Essentials/Scripts/"]

Once there, it (they?) should appear in AW's script menu... which resides between 'Window' and 'Help' and looks like the S-shaped AppleScript icon ...something like this: §

Hal Itosis #7152 12/30/09 06:28 PM
OP Offline

OK I've done all that.

The script is Concat in one field.zip
which contains a folder which contains
baseconcat.cwk
and
DB calc2textGUI+

I've put them in EXACTLY the right folder, quit+restarted AW and also rebooted.

Still no closing-up of blank fields when printing address labels.

[stressed]Hey, on Monday next week I have to print ~500 properly formatted address labels so let's not panic![/stressed]

[irrelevant poignant note]Yeah, I'm working right through New Years just like I worked right through Christmas. So what the hey. At least I have a job.[/irrelevant poignant note]

confused

Bensheim #7154 12/30/09 07:07 PM

Okay, i forgot to tell you to run the script... but that's what you need to do.

Run the script by selecting it (from that § menu), while some document which needs that particular fix is open.
[turn on the Mac first. wink ]

Hal Itosis #7179 12/31/09 10:25 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis

[turn on the Mac first. wink ]

Thanks for patronising me. I come here for help, not for gratuitous sarcasm.

Cheers

Bensheim #7195 01/01/10 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
Thanks for patronising me. I come here for help, not for gratuitous sarcasm.

It might help others to know whether or not running that script has cleared up the label printing issue. [i am mildly curious as well.]

Bensheim #7213 01/02/10 07:43 PM

excel is a lot better at database and data adjusting with its use of formulas. Put the messed up data on one sheet and put formulas on a second sheet to "pull in" data the way it belongs. Then select the data, and do a copy VALUES (not formulas) and paste to a third clean sheet.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Hal Itosis #7243 01/03/10 10:17 PM
OP Offline

Hal, I apologise for my terse response on New Year's Eve. I have been under a great deal of stress for over a month....

No the script did not work so I gave up with that particular trail.

The customer database is now fully converted to FileMaker Pro, and works very well.

I had only one query about the conversion, which was answered on another tech forum.

best wishes

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard