FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mac OS 9 — Upgrade and file transfer
#16203 06/20/11 03:37 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I am currently running Mac OS 9.0.4 on an iMac DVSE.

If I want to install an upgrade (say 9.2, which I have on CD disc), how do I do it without losing everything that's installed in my current OS 9.0.4? I am reluctant (read: scared) to attempt such a task because of the latter concern.

And if I get a new iMac, how do I transfer browser bookmarks and other such stuff from one system to another? Cabling? Compatibility? I haven't a clue. I'm currently using Mozilla 1.0.1.

Re: Mac OS 9 — Upgrade and file transfer
grelber #16206 06/20/11 04:45 PM

you should be able to run software updates to bring yourself all the way up to 9.2.2, there's no need to use a disc. There may be a firmware update (or two!) required in the process. Not every mac that will run 9 can run 9.2 though, but an imac should be fine.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #16208 06/20/11 05:22 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

The software upgrades are on the CD disc. My concern is that trying to install such will demolish my current system and everything that's on it.

The same holds true with Mozilla; the advice is to install it on a separate volume (I don't know what that means and probably don't have it in any case).

In both cases I have resisted trying to upgrade because I don't want to lose what I have. Without a positive guarantee that anything I do won't have disastrous repercussions, I'd rather do nothing at all; at least what I have works reasonably. I don't want to have to start from scratch just because of something I might do unwittingly.

[And just to put things into perspective: I clearly know zip about such matters, but among all of my friends and acquaintances I'm the "go-to guy" for computers. Get my drift?! The FTM forums are my only source of reliable information and assistance. For example, in my recent thread concerning mouse-behavior, I never knew that virtually any mouse could replace the one which came with my iMac. Kensington, Logitech and Microsoft all work ... albeit with left and right buttons doing the same job and the scroll wheel useless.]

grelber #16211 06/20/11 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
For example, in my recent thread concerning mouse-behavior, I never knew that virtually any mouse could replace the one which came with my iMac. Kensington, Logitech and Microsoft all work ... albeit with left and right buttons doing the same job and the scroll wheel useless.]
I don't mean to get off topic, but try it without using the Kensington software. I have always used Kensington trackballs (haven't used a mouse since the first trackball around 1985) and have never had problems.

Currently I have the almost cheapest one they make (Orbit with scroll ring) and the ring works like a hot damn. However, I am not using the Kensington software.

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #16212 06/20/11 06:58 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

ryck — thanks. Yeah, this should be in the other thread. Anyhoo, I'm not using Kensington software; I just plugged in the USB cable and it worked. Minor note: The other 2 mouse varieties mentioned seem to cause a blacked-out screen when waking from sleep mode; the K-mouse (PocketMouse) doesn't do that.

grelber #16215 06/20/11 09:14 PM

grelber, Part 1

In reply to:
Quote:
If I want to install an upgrade (say 9.2, which I have on CD disc), how do I do it without losing everything that's installed in my current OS 9.0.4?

1. Make sure that your documents, photos, music, and movies, are backed up in at least two locations such as external hard drives, or USB/flash drives.
  2. I am not sure how to go about backing up your browser bookmarks and emails.
  3. I am guessing that you have the install discs for all of the applications you use such as AppleWorks and a printer driver in case they might need to be reinstalled.

As you have been running Mac OS 9.0.4 for approximately eleven years, I am not clear about the benefits of an update to OS 9.2.x for you at this time.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
grelber #16216 06/20/11 09:22 PM

grelber, Part 2

In reply to:
Quote:
And if I get a new iMac, how do I transfer browser bookmarks and other such stuff from one system to another?
For me, that is a really hard question to answer because you would be leaping across six or seven operating systems: Mac OS 9.x to Mac OS 10.6.x or 10.7.x.

If there is an Apple Store near you, I think it would be best if you talk with the folks there:
  1. see what a new iMac looks like and the applications it includes;
  2. maybe make an appointment with the Genius Bar to see what they might be able to suggest and what they might be able transfer for you.

In reply to:
Quote:
Compatibility?
Oh, my; I regret providing a gloomy response. I doubt that anything you have been using in Mac OS 9.0.4 will be compatible in Mac OS 10.6.x or 10.7.x.

In reply to:
Quote:
Cabling?
According to Mac OS X 10.6 Help - Transferring files between two computers using FireWire
Quote:
If one of the computers is running Mac OS 9, it must have FireWire version 2.3.3 or later installed. Use Apple System Profiler (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder) to check the version of FireWire installed. If it is an older version, get an update at the Apple FireWire website.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
grelber #16220 06/20/11 10:36 PM

With all the responses you're getting I hope you can keep telling the forest for the trees! wink

Anyway, updating your OS won't affect your data and installed apps etc., unless something goes badly wrong in the process. That possibility strongly depends on your system's and its associated hardware's overall health, and because of this nobody without specific knowledge of your system will be able to guarantee anything. That said, having a complete backup of your system (including all data) allows you to tinker to your heart's content.

Moving your bookmarks usually involves exporting the current set from your browser, and importing that set into the new browser. Sometimes, the new browser knows where to find other browsers' bookmarks and will offer to import those. More specific instructions may be available if you tell us which browser you're currently using.

Moving data is even simpler: just copy it over. Whether you can still access it depends on the capabilities of the software running on your new Mac. Again, listing the programs you currently use may allow us to tell you more.

PS, I have a working iMac DVSE running 9.2.2 and Mac OS X 10.2.8, so I may be able to test a few things for you, assuming I find the time... But as Dianne noted, there is little utility in you updating to 9.2.2 unless you want to use it as Classic under a Mac OS X version that iMac will run.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #16224 06/21/11 12:08 AM

Quote:
Moving data is even simpler: just copy it over.

When contemplating copying files from an OS 9 Mac to an OS X Mac, bear in mind that under some circumstances (notably the use of a Windows-formatted flash drive or disc), information in an OS 9 file's resource fork will be lost. Whether this will have no effect, produce a garbled but usable OS X result (such as missing style information in a text file), or result in a completely unreadable OS X file depends on the application used to create the file.

Bottom line: use Mac-formatted media to copy OS 9 files to an OS X volume.

Quote:
...there is little utility in you updating to 9.2.2 unless you want to use it as Classic under a Mac OS X version that iMac will run.

It should probably be noted here that no Intel-based iMac supports Classic, so if grelber were looking at other than new machines, he'd need to limit himself to models at least six years old, running no later than OS X 10.4.11, to make use of that environment...

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #16227 06/21/11 09:00 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Many thanks to all.

Clearly I'm doomed. No Apple store, ergo no Genius Bar; so that route's out.
Exporting browser bookmarks from one machine to and importing to another ... I don't even have a glimmer as to how that's possible.
And so it goes ... blissful but mind-boggled in my ignorance ... probably best if I "carry on regardless" (Remember the old British movie series?) and when my system fades or crashes to black, consign it to the crusher and start from scratch.
My philosophy has become (or maybe it's always been) pragmatic fatalism or fatalistic pragmatism (take your pick).

grelber #16228 06/21/11 01:33 PM

Bookmarks can always be rebuilt one at a time and if you are like I am you will probably end up with a lot fewer than you had before — at least for a while that is. Your OS 9 applications and utilities you don't want on a new system so you don't have to worry about that. Your emails can be exported, but there again you will probably come to recognize that you seldom, if ever, reference those old email messages.

The only thing that is irreplaceable are your data files and while they are easily moved to another Mac depending on what application they were created in they may or may not be readable with the applications on a new Mac. crazy

Rather than being a fatalist, I would encourage you to be proactive. Start now to convert your data files into a format that will be readable on a new Intel Mac running Lion. If you provide a list of the applications you are using — being sure to include version numbers because versions do make a difference — we can suggest techniques to convert those data files to current standards. I would urge you to go ahead and get a new Mac then you can run old and/or new in parallel until you get your data converted and then switch to the new machine entirely. We can do this one data type at a time and in detail so you don't get overwhelmed by all the new "stuff."

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
grelber #16230 06/21/11 02:40 PM

I have to agree with JoeMikeB: your data files (and I include your bookmarks here) are the most important. The various details of transferring them may be ‘involved’, but remember that you don’t need to be an expert on everything, that’s where these forums come in handy. cool

And as I said before about bookmarks, they are easily exported. I don’t know which browser you use, but chances are that the option is listed under the File menu or the Bookmarks (Organize) menu. Just check it out and play with it. Exporting bookmarks produces a file or a folder, which can be imported by the new browser. In the past an intermediate browser might be needed because of bookmarks file format issues, but if that’s still the case it’s more of the same and pretty transparent.

Finally, it occurred to me that with your remark about being “blissful but mind-boggled in my ignorance” you effectively reduced (and perhaps even removed) the difference between your current Mac and OS and a new one from your point of view as a user. smirk So why wait? I’m sure a new Mac will entail a lot of getting-used-to, but also a lot of gratifying new experiences of things that work (again). The suggestion to run things on both old and new Mac during the transition is an excellent one, but you may want to do that while your old Mac is still spry…

alternaut moderator
joemikeb #16232 06/21/11 05:19 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Merci. About the only stuff I have is Word/RTF document files, PDFs, JPEG and MPEG files, and iTunes (ca 1 GB); total ca 3 GB.
Any email messages that I want to keep have been converted to RTF files.
I'm using MS Office 98. I don't use a computer for anything else other than browsing (via Mozilla 1.0.1).
I've used (literally) all versions of Macs and Mac OSs (shy of Lion), but for my purposes I don't see any increased utility; I really don't see their charm.
I don't have and likely never will have broad band access to the Internet; dial up suits my needs. If I "need" to see something on YouTube or other such sites (rarely), I use a public computer or a friend's (usually a PC).
As you can see, my requirements are truly simple and minimal.

grelber #16233 06/21/11 07:28 PM

Word files should not be a problem. You can elect to purchase:
  1. Word 2011 ($150) or Office 2011 ($280);
  2. Apple Pages ($19.99) or the entire iWork suite ($59.97);
  3. NeoOffice (FREE)
and they well all open, edit, and save most Microsoft Office files, even those created on a PC.

Since you are using Mozilla 1.0.1 you would probably feel right at home with Sea Monkey (formerly known as "Mpzilla Appl;ications Suite" and includes the Mozilla browser, an email application, HTML Editor, etc.

When you described your use of the computer, it occured to me that a fully loaded iPad might well meet all your needs quite nicely. You would not even have to mess with a dialup internet account because the iPad can access the internet directly through the Edge or 3G network. Long term data storeage and backup would have to be on the web, but in exchange for that you cannot beat the portability and ability to work whereever you are. I know at least three friends who have elected to buy an iPad instead of a new laptop and they are happy campers.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16235 06/21/11 08:02 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the suggestion about the iPad.
However, one needs to pay big bucks to connect with the world via iPad or other such devices ... which is one (of a number of) reasons I don't have an iPhone or any smartphone or cellphone.
Moreover, to be tracked (GPS) via an iPad with that information going who knows where for who knows what reason will never be a route I'll travel.
I want to fly even further under the radar than the Unabomber. wink And I want to do it cheaply.

grelber #16247 06/22/11 09:56 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

RE Firewire:
Do I take it that I could just connect the old and a new Mac together with a Firewire cable and then 'drag' (transfer) files and file folders from the old to the new?! Would the old even show up on the new, given the disparity of OSs?
Connecting in any other way is not a possibility (for me).
As noted, I also have all files backed up on 700MB CDs, so I could transfer them that way.

grelber #16249 06/22/11 04:28 PM

RE Firewire:
Do I take it that I could just connect the old and a new Mac together with a Firewire cable and then 'drag' (transfer) files and file folders from the old to the new?!

Assuming both machines actually have FW connectors, then yes.

Would the old even show up on the new, given the disparity of OSs?

Differing OSs don't matter... the "target mode" device simply appears as a regular mounted disk.

If you have a home network, file transfers could also be done that way (via simple drag-n-drop).

Moderated by  joemikeb, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard