FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parallels or VMWare Fusion?
#8676 03/02/10 03:44 PM
etaoin Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm to the point of needing a Windows machine at home to do a VPN connection to work for after hours support. I currently have a MacPro running 10.4.11 with plenty of RAM and disk space.

Any good talking points to recommend Parallels vs. VMWare Fusion?

I don't expect to have any heavy-duty Windows activity. Just a VPN connection to work and a VNC client to "run" my Windows 95 PC (on one of our legacy systems) at work.

If my wife's home PC gets any worse off than it is now, I may migrate her stuff to my Windows partition on my Mac.

Thanks for any opinions/recommendations.

Re: Parallels or VMWare Fusion?
etaoin #8682 03/03/10 01:48 AM

I've recently read a very, verylong (about ten pages) head-to-head review of both Parallels and VMWare Fusion. In every category, the newest version of Parallels handily beat VMWare Fusion, from performance to graphics ability to number-crunching to memory usage to ease of setup.

However, if your needs are only to run Windows for VPN and other non-gaming tasks, and you don't need accelerated 3D graphics support, I would recommend you use neither of the above. For the kind of use you are talking about, there is no need to spend money. Sun's VirtualBox is free!

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

VirtualBox won't let you run accelerated 3D Windows games, but it will easily do what you're talking about.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #8692 03/03/10 02:02 PM
etaoin Offline OP
OP Offline

Interesting. Thanks for the reply ... I'll check it out.

etaoin #8696 03/03/10 02:42 PM

I've had very good luck using Remote Desktop Connection to connect to windows machines at work.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  joemikeb, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard