FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can't restart says no bootable device
#6988 12/26/09 12:16 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I have copy of windows and it was acting funny, so tried to re-install it without luck. had to do several force quits etc. Anyway, everything went back to normal, but today, I can't restart into Mac normally. I get a black screen that says no bootable device, insert boot disc and press any key.
I put in the Mac OS install disc and press a key but it does not help.
I booted into the disc OS, repaired disc Mac HD (did not need a replair) restarted and still get the black window, "no bootable device"
Have no idea what to do thanks.

Re: Can't restart says no bootable device
kevs #6994 12/26/09 07:29 AM

No guarantees, kevs, but try resetting PRAM by following the instructions here.

Hope this helps.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #7000 12/26/09 06:57 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

THINK I resolved this, keep you posted.

kevs #7002 12/26/09 08:58 PM

Since this issue arose from problems with Windows I moved this thread from Mac OS X 10.6.x to Other OSes on the Mac. It would be helpful to know if you are running Windows on Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop, or VMFusion.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #7008 12/27/09 12:01 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe, makes sense.
This happened the day after trying to upload windows XP with Bootcamp.
That said,
couple of questions:
1) That black screen with: "can't find bootable disc"
was that a Mac screen or windows thing?

2) I have a perfect clone on an external, how come that bootable OS would not even come up? Does the computer "see" the HD clone external in these types of situations?

3) I was able to post this on my lapop in the other room. But curious, if my primary computer, the imac, which is plugged into the router, how did the laptop work just fine -- internet etc? if the imac was having a meltdown?

kevs #7009 12/27/09 12:14 AM

> 2) I have a perfect clone on an external, how come that bootable OS would not even come up? Does the computer "see" the HD clone external in these types of situations?

A while back I d/l'ed a piece of software that left me in pretty much the same situation you're in; I couldn't boot from anything...ANYTHING!!!

Zapping PRAM as I've advised you to try turned the trick; have you tried it?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #7012 12/27/09 03:01 PM

1. The black screen is Mac firmware and neither OS X or Windows. It is your Mac telling you that it cannot find a bootable drive.
  2. That drive is not coming up because for whatever reason your Mac is not seeing any drive. There are a number of things that can cause that.
    1. Artie has already suggested Zapping the PRAM and if that fails resetting the PMU might "reactivate" your drives
    2. A badly damaged volume structure or a failed hard drive can, in some cases, prevent your system from seeing both the hard drive and optical drive, but it should still see an external HD or optical drive volume.
  3. Just because your iMac cannot see a bootable drive does not mean your router is not working correctly and distributing the signal to your laptop. They are unrelated.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  joemikeb, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard