Not sure where to ask this one because it involves Windows.

During the past year, ATT installed fiber optic cables in my neighborhood. At the time I had to move up from DSL to what used to be called U-verse. I don't even know what it's called now. ATT Fiber Optic? I don't know. To me, it's still DSL of some kind.

On their web site and on the phone, ATT has made it so difficult to learn what you will pay from year to year and what speed you will get. But I was forced to change, so I moved from about 1.5 Mb to 10 Mbp with a slight increase in cost. And I use ATT's router/modem now, which has turned OK because it's less work than handling all the settings myself.

A few days ago an email arrived to tell me my neighborhood just got fiber optic. Huh? And that all I had to do was unplug my router and plug it in to get 100 Mb. Huh? At no extra cost. Huh? A phone call to a Mexican woman at ATT confirmed it. She said unplug, so I did.

Well, I'm not getting 100, I'm getting 50. My wireless devices are all getting 20. These speeds are new to me. Up until a few days ago, most of my life has been spent with the slowest speeds, though not, of course, the lowest price. Is this normal? To get 50 and 20 when you are paying for 100?

Second, I've already done some troubleshooting on the wireless. I find wireless troubleshooting the most complicated of all because it involves electronics that I know nothing about, and a considerable amount of voodoo. The next step up from troubleshooting your own wireless is, I think, getting hired as a repairman for ATT.

The Airport Extreme in my Mac has n speed, and I think that should suffice. I wonder if the modem/router ATT gave me needs to be upgraded. The model itself, I mean. I already looked at the settings and didn't change anything. It has both 2 GHz and 5 Ghz bands. I'm in a residential neighborhood where everyone is connected to the internet. So, a busy one, in networking terms.

The other devices are a three year old iPad (small one), a three year old Dell Inspiron Desktop running 8.1, a ten year old Dell Latitude D630 laptop running 7, and a ten year old white Macbook running Leopard. My guess is that all of them except the ten year old Dell laptop ought to be able to reach 100 Mbp or at least more than 20.