FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iCloud seized control of Apple Mail
#53047 12/09/19 01:32 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

This morning I am unable to retrieve mail from my ISP and I have an "Account Error" advisory at the top of my Apple Mail page - in a little black triangle. The Preferences show that iCloud is online but I cannot get it to go offline and allow my ISP mail to be online.

Every time I designate my ISP account as the online account, iCloud takes over and designates itself as online.

Solution?

NOTE: My wife's ISP email, on the same machine but a different account, is just fine.

Update: I used Cocktail to rebuild the Launch Services Database, but that made no difference.

Update 2: And now, just as mysteriously as the problem arose, it has gone away. I went to fill my coffee mug and, when I returned, Mail had started working properly. Colour me confused, albeit relieved.

Last edited by ryck; 12/09/19 01:53 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: iCloud seized control of Apple Mail
ryck #53049 12/09/19 02:19 PM

Never underestimate the power of coffee.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: iCloud seized control of Apple Mail
ryck #53052 12/09/19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
This morning I am unable to retrieve mail from my ISP and I have an "Account Error" advisory at the top of my Apple Mail page - in a little black triangle. The Preferences show that iCloud is online but I cannot get it to go offline and allow my ISP mail to be online.

The triangle indicates Mail was unable to establish contact with your ISP's email server, almost certainly because that server was temporarily down and had nothing to do with Mail or anything else on your computer. Normally both your ISP's account and iCloud account would be online simultaneously so I am not sure what you mean by "...I designate my ISP account as the online account,…" I am not sure what you were attempting. Whatever, the fact is when Mail was unable to establish contact with the ISP's server it would quite correctly and appropriately revert to the account that it could contact, iCloud.

While you were refilling your coffee mug, the ISP server came back online and because Mail queries the servers periodically contact was re-established. The problem was solved by and at your ISP.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard