An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Removing autofill items from iMessage (Messages)
#51858 06/17/19 10:43 PM
OP Offline

I hope I haven't asked this before. I recently tried to text someone using Messages on my mac. I have one person I know with a certain name but she is not in my contacts either on my Mac or my iPhone. Still the autofill works to make it possible to contact her. I got her number wrong by one number in the past and it went to a stranger. Now that number keeps popping up (with my friend's name). I forgot I had the wrong number AND the correct number showing up in my autofill, and I texted the wrong person again. Thankfully, they let me know (again). I cannot find a way to stop the autofill from using in both numbers. I always have to be careful not to use the wrong one.

I found this online, but it doesn't work for me since my friend is not technically in my contacts: In the Safari app on your Mac, choose Safari > Preferences.
Click AutoFill. To turn AutoFill off or on, select the information you want to include in AutoFill; deselect the rest. To change or delete AutoFill information, click Edit next to the information you want to change or delete.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Removing autofill items from iMessage (Messages)
plantsower #51859 06/18/19 01:25 PM

I am not sure where Messages is getting its list from, other than Contacts, but there is another contacts list in Mail > Window > Previous Contacts. You might look to see if the alternate number is there, and if it is delete it.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Removing autofill items from iMessage (Messages)
joemikeb #51860 06/18/19 07:04 PM
OP Offline

Hi: Thanks, JoeMike. I checked, but it only shows emails, no numbers.

You know, I think it works like the autofill works in Safari just remembering urls. They aren't stored anywhere obvious, but Safari remembers them. It's a mystery and very annoying. I couldn't find anyone on the internet who had the true answer. I was told there could be a link between my iPhone and my Mac with the numbers, but I was able to successfully remove the number from my iPhone but I still have the problem on Mac Messges. Oh well. I wonder if there is somewhere in the library that keeps that info. I used EasyFind but ony found a couple of deleted texts I had to the correct person. confused

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I am not sure where Messages is getting its list from, other than Contacts, but there is another contacts list in Mail > Window > Previous Contacts. You might look to see if the alternate number is there, and if it is delete it.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard