FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Does anyone have experience with this?
#47039 11/27/17 05:26 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

VPN Unlimited: Lifetime Subscription It looks like a good deal.

Comments?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: Does anyone have experience with this?
jchuzi #47040 11/27/17 05:37 PM

According to a response to VPN Unlimited for Mac it's $30/month.

Originally Posted By: MacUpdate
FREE

Note: This application contains in-app and/or external module purchases.

confused about what you get for $30/lifetime; based on earlier posts at FTM, it's way too cheap.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #47043 11/27/17 06:57 PM

On the App Store VPN Unlimited Is priced from 1 week — $3.99 all the way up to annual — $54.99. I subscribed on a monthly basis and they kept sending new offers until a lifetime subscription was offered for under $100 and I grabbed it.

Performance has been good on both MacOS and iOS devices but sometimes it becomes necessary to try a different server location because the one you are using is sluggish. I did run into one hotel server that blocked it, but that could happen to any VPN.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47045 11/28/17 01:42 AM

Your lifetime subscription was "under $100", which suggests that it may have cost significantly more than the $30 offer to which Jon linked.

Considering that MacUpdate says "This application contains in-app and/or external module purchases", I'm left wondering just what I'd get for my $30 as compared to what you got.

Not that I expect you to know...just thinking out loud.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #47052 11/28/17 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi

Comments?

"YOUR lifetime, or THIERS?" Never forget, the "lifetime warranty" usually ends when the vendor closes shop. If they run around for a year collecting "lifetime subscriptions" and then close their doors, they walk away with everyone's money and leave no support or services.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
jchuzi #47063 11/29/17 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi

Comments?

Sure! Right now there is a dirt cheap alternative between low lifetime subscription price and company life expectancy concerns. FWIW, until this Friday you can purchase a 3 year subscription on VPN Unlimited as part of the Pay What You Want Cyber Monday Mac Bundle (current bundle minimum price is $10.40). The bundle contains 9 other goodies as well. tongue

Disclaimer: I am not associated in any way with the bundle vendor.

alternaut moderator
artie505 #47076 11/29/17 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Your lifetime subscription was "under $100", which suggests that it may have cost significantly more than the $30 offer to which Jon linked.

One difference may have been my license covers up to five different devices including iPhones and iPads. I have noticed VPN Unlimited often has subscription sales, but that sounds almost too good to be true.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47078 11/29/17 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
One difference may have been my license covers up to five different devices including iPhones and iPads.

AFAICT, that’s standard for VPN Unlimited’s offerings. cool

alternaut moderator
alternaut #47098 11/30/17 06:06 PM

"Free for life" seemed too good to be true. Checking reviews of VPN Unlimited seem to produce mixed results. Still a 4 out of 5. Very few people absolutely hate it, but everyone has something to complain about (probably typical for any software).

Alternatively, look at Top 10 VPN. The first two listed swap places regularly on other rating sites.

I don't know—do you get what you pay for? crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #47102 11/30/17 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L

I don't know—do you get what you pay for? crazy

I tried VPN Unlimited, and discovered that the VPN portals were often down. I was never able to get consistent and reliable connections, and when I did, it was slow.

I found a Hotspot Shield "pay once for life" deal a while back on StackSocial, so I bought that, and the quality difference is night and day. So far, Hotspot Shield has been fast and reliable.

There's definitely a huge difference in different services. Offering a VPN service is easy in theory but difficult in practice, as I discovered when I tried to set up one of my own servers as a personal VPN server.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard