for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Changing order of emails
#44559 05/10/17 08:14 PM
OP Offline

Hi: I have a folder called Receipts. I have a subfolder called Long-term receipts. In that folder I would like to rearrange the emails so that all the emails from one company are together. I can't find a way to do this.

I did go to View and pick "from" but the from addresses are all different from this particular company.

In the past I accidentally moved an email up or down, but I have no idea how I did it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Changing order of emails
plantsower #44560 05/10/17 10:15 PM

This article explains all the native sort order options in Mail but none of those will do what I think you are looking for. A couple of possible options might give you at least part of what you want are:
  • Assuming this is Mail in Mavericks or later and all the messages have the same subject you can turn on Conversation Mode (actually it is the default). In Conversation mode all the messages with the same title or RE: the same title will be shown when you open any mail in the conversation. For complete information go to Mail > Help and search for "view conversations."
  • If there is something unique to the emails from a company you can create a Smart mailbox using the unique element as the identifying element. Smart mailboxes are like Smart folders the messages are not actually moved from wherever they are located in mail, but you can access any email meeting the criteria through the Smart mailbox. Again go to Mail > Help and search on smart mailbox for how to information.
  • A third option would be to create mailboxes "On My Mac" for each company and then dragging and dropping or other wise manually moving all messages from that company into the "On My Mac" mailbox.
All of these suggestions and more can be found in Mail > Help using "organize messages" as the search criteria. smile

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Changing order of emails
joemikeb #44565 05/11/17 02:35 AM
OP Offline

OK. Thanks, JoeMike.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard