for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
dock bug related to networking
#43054 12/06/16 05:47 PM
OP Offline

Been working with Sierra on my new work laptop. Ran into a bug several times where my dock (and thus alt-tabbing between apps) stopped working. Makes it hard to switch apps with both of those gone! Sometimes killing the dock process fixed it, sometimes not.

I believe I have located the problem. I have a disk image I mount over the network, and I have an item in that share in my dock. If I have that document open, and the share disconnects, the disk image fails to eject, showing up only as an empty folder. But the 10.12 dock isn't as amused, and just stops completely. Dock won't come up, cmd-tab is ignored. If I force eject the disk image, and then kill the dock process, it seems to recover. (it may recover on its own given time after the forced eject)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: dock bug related to networking
Virtual1 #43056 12/06/16 06:06 PM

FWIW I just attempted to recreate your failure on my system running MacOS 10.12.2 beta 5 and could not replicate the Dock failure. I may not have exactly duplicated your unique situation or it may be that problem has been corrected — at least in beta 5. Hopefully the "fix" will make it into the released version of MacOS 10.12.2.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Virtual1 #43140 12/12/16 07:07 PM
OP Offline

Well the sharepoint thing seems to not be consistent, I've had the dock check out on me a few times without provocation.

NO idea what's causing it. Annoying.

Virtual1 #43156 12/13/16 05:39 PM

For me on Sierra, command-tab brings up an on-screen overlay showing all running apps (annoyingly, even hidden ones). I can left/right arrow or click amongst these to choose one.

Are you saying that if the Dock stops working that this key combination won't work?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #43175 12/14/16 07:33 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Ira L
For me on Sierra, command-tab brings up an on-screen overlay showing all running apps (annoyingly, even hidden ones). I can left/right arrow or click amongst these to choose one.

Are you saying that if the Dock stops working that this key combination won't work?

that is correct. The cmd-tab overlay is a gui element being run by the dock process. When you think about it, they have very similar function.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard