An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What is best text option for non Mac users?
#42786 11/18/16 05:35 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

If I get a submission by a potential client and they provide no phone number, I then email them back.

But now even gmail users get my emails thrown into Spam

What is best way to text non Mac users (using their email only)?Thanks

Re: What is best text option for non Mac users?
kevs #42794 11/19/16 03:40 PM

Both the Messages app on the Mac and iDevices allow you to text to non-Macs using an e-mail address. Where you would normally type the recipient's phone number, use the e-mail address. The catch in all of this is that the person to whom you are texting must have their e-mail address entered as a texting preference, along with their phone number.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #42796 11/19/16 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Both the Messages app on the Mac and iDevices allow you to text to non-Macs using an e-mail address. Where you would normally type the recipient's phone number, use the e-mail address. The catch in all of this is that the person to whom you are texting must have their e-mail address entered as a texting preference, along with their phone number.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing or a corollary...

I often receive texts in Mail.app that have been sent to my email address, but I've never set any prefs in that respect.

(And conversely, you can text from Mail.app to a cell phone using its number and a special @xyz email address.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42805 11/19/16 07:47 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Ira, hmmmm. one person I texted in messages, a sign immediately came up saying was not possible, so I assumed it was a non Apple user.

kevs #42835 11/21/16 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Ira, hmmmm. one person I texted in messages, a sign immediately came up saying was not possible, so I assumed it was a non Apple user.

If I am remembering correctly, if you are texting from a device that does not have cellular (laptop, desktop, some iPads, iPods) then you will not be able to send a text message to a non-Apple recipient. iMessages to an Apple device appear as blue text bubbles once sent; non-Apple text messages show up as green text bubbles. iMessages require at least wi-fi, ordinary text messages go via cellular networks.

So no cellular, no text to non-Apple devices. Now having said all of this, different cell phone carriers may have work-arounds or options that overcome some of these limitations.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #42839 11/21/16 06:51 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Ira, seems to be working except one catch. When I test to myself, the incoming text has to sound alert, very odd.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard