FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hidden WiFi Network
#41764 09/17/16 03:43 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

My WiFi Network set-up on my AirPort Extreme (4th gen): WPA2 Personal, Hidden network for 2.4GHz & 5GHz. On my AE, the "hidden network" is created on Wireless Options section where the 5GHz network name is created, along with Country, Radio Mode, Channels.

When I activated my iPhone 7 (on 9/16) and connected it to my WiFi Network, the WiFi Settings showed a "Security Recommendation" that had never previously appeared on this WiFi screen.

The information icon, next to this Security Recommendation, took me (via mobile Safari) to an  Support page - Recommended WiFi Settings

The support page's Hidden network paragraph recommends this setting be disabled. Reason given: "Because hidden networks don't broadcast their SSID, it's harder for devices to find them, which can result in increased connection time and can reduce the reliability of auto-connection. [my comment: I perceive that sentence as a fundamentally good, security measure - am I incorrect in that belief?] "Hiding a network doesn't secure your Wi-Fi network, because the SSID is still available through other mechanisms. [my comment: I'm unclear what's meant by "other mechanisms?"] "Security is enforced by a different setting (see Security below)."
The above referenced "Security" section recommends setting network to WPA2 Personal (AES). Mine is set to WPA2 Personal with a strong password; however, given my AE's generation, I don't see any reference to AES.

Add'l detail: My iPad Air 2, which is also using iOS 10.0.1, does not show this Security Recommendation for either selection of my 2.4GHz or 5GHz network - this device usually set for the 5GHz network as it's faster for my couch surfing. My previous iPhone 6, which was also using iOS 10.0.1, did not show the recommendation. It was only upon getting my iPhone 7 (10.0.1) on my WiFi, that I first saw the notice.

Given that the iPhone 7's WiFi setting & the  Support page recommends disabling a hidden network, I'm now wondering whether I should change. Frankly, I prefer my network be hidden as I'm in a condo complex. I see neighbor networks, and I prefer mine not seen.

Any thoughts about whether I should disable my Hidden setting?

Last edited by pbGuy; 09/17/16 06:19 PM. Reason: Add'l Detail

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
Re: Hidden WiFi Network
pbGuy #41769 09/17/16 08:00 PM

Disabling the broadcast of your SSID is only one of the many complementary and intersecting security steps that you can take to make your home WiFi network less accessible to unwanted "guests". It is not particularly effective as a standalone measure in that your SSID can be found with many off the shelf and readily available WiFi utilities through other means than being openly broadcast. For the casual drive by surfer looking to see what networks are in range, it might work, but for anyone truly determined to find and access your personal WiFi network it is not the slightest bit effective. What Apple has to say about the potential negative consequences of not broadcasting your SSID is valid....it can cause unintended connectivity issues within your network.

If you were to do a little Google research on the topic, I'd wager that your AE's aging origins have been updated through firmware to include AES as well as TKIP....and that, although not specifically listed in the user interface, AES is part of the WPA2 Personal underlying standard (and of course, Apple is if nothing else a standards driven WiFi implementor).

FWIW, hiding the SSID used to be one of my WiFi security steps when setting up a new network.....but no longer -- using a STRONG password on WPA2 Personal with AES, in combination with limiting the number of DHCP addresses allocatable, and being absolutely certain to re-write all of the original default settings with my own for IP address, DHCP range, channel utilized, etc provides the additional layers that contribute to wireless security at my home.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #41772 09/17/16 09:56 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Good stuff in your reply, which leads me to further recognize my MPB (mid 2010) and AE (also, purchased in 2010) are both showing to be long in the tooth. ...The AE has been firmware updated as they were made available; but since it's now a legacy generation, I understand why its firmware has not had updates in quite awhile.

In the near term and based upon your detail, I think I'll be Ok. But when I replace my MBP, I'll also get a new router and amend my security policy as is being suggested.

Any thought as to why the Security Recommendation popped up on my iPhone 7 but not on my iPad Air 2 since both are using iOS 10.0.1?

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #41775 09/18/16 02:56 AM

Probably has more to do with the WiFi hardware in each device rather than the version of the software driving it.....with the iPhone 7 having the latest hardware.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard