FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Smart TVs and Internet Security
#39908 04/12/16 01:58 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Should I be concerned about security in connecting to the internet via my Samsung smart TV? Can I get viruses and malware on my TV? Obviously the TV lacks the security features and extensions of Firefox, though it does include a copy of Chrome (I think) which requires you to create an account.

So far, I've only connected to watch YouTube, for which I don't need the browser because there's a built-in app for it. YouTube has settings which can be set and cleared, such as viewing history, search history, health monitoring, and cookies. I clear all of them when I'm done. The TV has features like automatic updating of apps, saving preferences and router ID and password, and an automatic virus scanner (!) every time you start up. I've been playing it safe by connecting only a few times to experiment. I enter my router password whenever I connect rather than let the TV store my password. I don't want to be connected all the time, at least not until I learn more.

What do you think about all this? For months, I was reluctant even to connect, for various reasons, esp. given my slow internet speed. I was shocked to learn that YouTube works at all, and not that badly. But I'm quite conscious of security with my Mac on the internet and I've learned a lot over the past year. I thought I would never connect my TV to the internet.

It's a pretty neat little trick. There's much on YouTube that's far more interesting than anything on TV. Although it's a smart TV, the TV content itself remains remarkably stupid.

Last edited by deniro; 04/12/16 02:00 PM.
Re: Smart TVs and Internet Security
deniro #39909 04/12/16 04:02 PM

Damn straight you can be hacked.

For one, if you've activated voice commands on your smart TV, you should be concerned since that pretty much means that all conversations you have which can be heard/monitored by such are off into the Cloud. Big Brother and other "voyeurs" are your audience. Amorous, illegal and other activities which you don't want the world to know about should not be carried out in the presence of your smart TV. The same holds true of Internet-connected baby monitors and the like.

Mutatis mutandis, any "smart" device (eg, refrigerators) connected to the Internet can be messed with in diabolical ways.

And surge/spike protectors are a bare minimum with such devices — especially in areas prone to frequent electrical storms (such as central Florida) — given that they're "computers" first (and refrigerators second); make sure that your insurance of whatever sort covers them — think large tree falling on your refrigerator.

deniro #39911 04/12/16 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
Should I be concerned about security in connecting to the internet via my Samsung smart TV?.

People in China and Russia are hacking THERMOSTATS and PHOTOCOPIERS. Do you really think any internet-connected device isn't a target?

They're in it for the money of course. But if they can't lift bank logins or credit card numbers off it, they'll just sell it off to a bot herder. Doesn't really matter what it is, as long as it has at least marginal processing power.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #39916 04/12/16 11:51 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

OK, it's a target, which I had read about online. Does this mean avoid smart TV (connecting to the internet via TV) altogether? Or are there security measures I can take and still watch YouTube on my TV?

In order to hack my TV, someone would first have to hack my router, so that's a problem for anyone who has Wifi. Not much of a problem, I don't think, given that I've taken various precautions.

deniro #39926 04/13/16 04:33 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Samsung's security features and advice:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/skp/faq/1057959

deniro #39927 04/14/16 08:33 PM

Panasonic is already shipping a smart TV that uses a Firefox browser in Europe, will be shipping here soon. Probably worth waiting.
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2016/01/05...nveiled-at-ces/

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard