for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Safari Technology Preview
#39788 04/02/16 05:29 PM
OP Offline

True to form I am always trying new and often beta software so this is no exception. Apple has released a Technology Preview version of Safari of OS X and iOS that is downloadable here. To quote Apple the Safari Technology Preview allows you to...
Originally Posted By: Apple
Preview the latest web technologies. Get a preview of the latest advances in Safari web technologies, including HTML, JavaScript, and CSS. Safari Technology Preview includes the most recent version of WebKit, the rendering engine that powers Safari.

Easy to update. You can update Safari Technology Preview right from the Mac App Store. Updates occur every few weeks and include the most recent additions and improvements to WebKit.

Access powerful developer tools. Use the latest version of the powerful Web Inspector and Responsive Design Mode to modify, debug, and optimize your websites.

Provide feedback. Use Bug Reporter to send feedback directly to Apple about issues and enhancement requests. Simply select Report an Issue from the Help menu in Safari Technology Preview.

Run side-by-side with Safari. Safari Technology Preview is a standalone app that works side-by-side with the current version of Safari, so you can continue to use and reference the current release.

Surf seamlessly with iCloud. Safari Technology Preview works with iCloud, so you can access your latest Safari Favorites, bookmarks, and Reading List.

Keep current. The WebKit blog keeps you up-to-date on the latest developments in HTML, JavaScript, and CSS.

I Have been using it alongside Safari for the last 24 hours and so far I have found...
  • The Top Sites view is missing in the current technology preview frown
  • I have been able to successfully access and use a couple of sites that do not work with Safari 9.1 and previous versions of Safari smile
  • I have had several crashes but instead of Safari crashing the window crashes and the Technical Preview soldiers on and automatically reopens the window cool
  • It is easy to switch between Safari and the Technology Preview as the default browser. Just go to Safari ⇒ Preferences ⇒ General in whichever version is NOT the current default smile
  • I haven't run any actual speed tests, but Technoligy Preview feels a bit faster than Safari 9.1 cool
If you are having problems with a given site in Safari, you might give the Technology Preview a try.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Safari Technology Preview
joemikeb #39791 04/02/16 10:33 PM

Just to clarify, Safari Technology Preview is not the same thing as WebKit Nightly.

Both are available here.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard