for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ScamZapper install issue with Safari 9?
#36394 10/10/15 02:52 AM
OP Offline

Today version 1.4 of ScamZapper became available, but I was unable to install it in Safari 9.0 (under 10.10.5). The installer made all the ‘right noises’, but nothing actually happened. I decided to uninstall the previous version (1.3.6, a legacy install from Safari 8.x) to see if its presence was blocking the install, but that didn’t help. In fact, once removed reinstalling 1.3.6 didn’t work either. I suspect the issue is with Safari 9, and I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

alternaut moderator
Re: ScamZapper install issue with Safari 9?
alternaut #36978 11/04/15 05:13 PM
OP Offline

It’s now almost a month later, and finally I managed to get ScamZapper reinstalled last week. I have no clue why it worked this time and not on the various previous occasions I tried it during the last few weeks. What ultimately worked was loading the ScamZapper app (installed in Apps), that’s there to help out with scams not yet covered by the browser extension. Like the regular updaters, it too checks for an installed extension and offers to install it if none is found. This time that did work (previous trials didn’t), albeit that app v1.4 installed extension 1.3.6. There may be an issue with the installer script, but I have been too lazy to scrutinize that after a first glance didn’t show anything obvious.

Interestingly, a few days after the successful reinstall, I ran into exactly the problem ScamZapper is supposed to handle on an otherwise normally behaving Wallpaper site. Somehow I doubt the updater that wouldn’t install (1.4 vs. 1.3.6) provides the signature for this problem site, but in any case, dealing with new problem sites is what the ScamZapper App is supposed to be for. I’ll upload the requisite data to have this particular one added.

alternaut moderator
Re: ScamZapper install issue with Safari 9?
alternaut #37100 11/09/15 04:10 PM
OP Offline

Today’s ScamZapper 1.4.1 app update successfully installed the 1.4.1 version of the (Safari) extension.

alternaut moderator

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard