FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
java
#36530 10/20/15 01:42 PM
jaybass Online OP
OP Online

OS 10.6.8 Can some tell me if the internet plug-ins should "allow" java. If so, what version should I have? I'm concerned regarding security.

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: java
jaybass #36533 10/20/15 01:59 PM

As the cautions were for Flash Player, the same apply to Java Applet Plug-in (current version Java 8 Update 60 build 27) which you can download directly from Oracle, whose JRE page will provide all the information you need:
Java SE Runtime Environment 8 - Downloads, which states, inter alia, "If you want to run Java programs, but not develop them, download the Java Runtime Environment, or JREâ„¢."

grelber #36534 10/20/15 02:12 PM
jaybass Online OP
OP Online

Thanks grelber, The internet plug-in under security prefs does not allow java and I've had this imac since 2009 so do I really need java? I'll look into it anyway. jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #36535 10/20/15 02:14 PM

You're generally best off NOT allowing Java (The reason will have to come from somebody better versed in the subject than I am.) unless you're running an app that requires it, but under any circumstances, in OS X 10.6.8, when I navigate to /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app > General I see (Edit: Java SE 6) Version 1.6.0_65-b14-462, which is the latest version available for Snowy. (I've got Java unchecked there and under Safari > Prefs > Security > Internet plug-ins.

Edit: The details in grelber's response deal with later versions of OS X than Snowy.

Last edited by artie505; 10/20/15 02:26 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #36541 10/20/15 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
You're generally best off NOT allowing Java (The reason will have to come from somebody better versed in the subject than I am.) unless you're running an app that requires it, but under any circumstances, in OS X 10.6.8, when I navigate to /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app > General I see (Edit: Java SE 6) Version 1.6.0_65-b14-462, which is the latest version available for Snowy. (I've got Java unchecked there and under Safari > Prefs > Security > Internet plug-ins.
The details in grelber's response deal with later versions of OS X than Snowy.

Thanks, artie, I didn't take into account the OS jaybass is using. Your comments are spot on.
As I (vaguely) recall, Java SE 6 became a serious security risk, with many cautionary articles written on the subject. Later versions seem to be far safer, but one is better safe than sorry by only enabling the plugin when necessary.

grelber #36544 10/20/15 06:12 PM

Do not confuse Java applications and Java Applets. Java applications do not use the Java plugin, Java applets do. So it is entirely feasible to disable or even remove the Java plugin and have no impact one way or the other on Java applications.

Both Java applets and applications use the same Java Virtual Machine to convert the Java pseudo-code to host processor specific machine language for execution and OS APIs. The Java Plugin connects the browser to the Java Virtual Machine so a Java applet can run. Java applets are relatively rare and have been for some time so disabling or removing the Java Plugin is unlikely to have any noticeable impact unless you do a lot of internet gaming.

As I was typing this at 14:00 hours Central time 10/20/15 the current version of Java from Oracle changed to version 8 update 65 build 17 (64MB). The Oracle versions offer far more protections and security options than anything previously available from Apple.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36548 10/20/15 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
So it is entirely feasible to disable or even remove the Java plugin and have no impact one way or the other on Java applications.

Indeed. It’s quite sufficient to disable the plugin (blocking web applets), and leave Java active if you need to run local Java based software. There’s quite a bit of the latter around, as this post indicates. Only if you don’t have or need any of those apps would it make sense to block or uninstall Java itself.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #36550 10/20/15 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Only if you don’t have or need any of those apps would it make sense to block or uninstall Java itself.

The trick is knowing whether or not a particular app uses Java. There are several apps written in Objective C and other languages that use support functions written in Java. I believe Adobe does that in some of their apps.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36551 10/20/15 09:09 PM

As I was typing this at 14:00 hours Central time 10/20/15 the current version of Java from Oracle changed to version 8 update 65 build 17 (64MB). The Oracle versions offer far more protections and security options than anything previously available from Apple.

In addition to that, Oracle has just released Java 8 Update 66 (60 MB). Not sure what the difference might be.
Oracle updates JRE regularly and frequently, so it's wise to check at least weekly.

alternaut #36552 10/20/15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: artie
I've got Java unchecked in /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app and under Safari > Prefs > Security > Internet plug-ins.

Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of this (after having read about it a million times)... My quote apparently applies to two different situations.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #36562 10/21/15 12:38 PM

The trick is knowing whether or not a particular app uses Java. There are several apps written in Objective C and other languages that use support functions written in Java. I believe Adobe does that in some of their apps.

In that case, the trick becomes determining if the function has been imported / embedded into the app or if it's expecting it to be globally available on the computer.

My foggy memory recalls a command in terminal you can use to see what libraries an app calls. I don't recall the command offhand.

ahh there it is, otool:

Code:
sudo otool -L /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail
/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail:
	/usr/lib/libDiagnosticMessagesClient.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AOSUI.framework/Versions/A/AOSUI (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 360.95.0)
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Backup.framework/Versions/A/Backup (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 932.6.3)
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreRecents.framework/Versions/A/CoreRecents (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)

( note that with .App packages you have to specify the binary inside Contents/MacOS/ )

otool -L /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail | grep -i java

returns nothing, indicating Mail does not load any library with "java" in the name.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #36567 10/21/15 02:59 PM

As I suggested in the link I posted above, simply searching your Mac for .jar and checking the hits for associated apps might help too.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #36569 10/21/15 03:48 PM

As I suggested in the link I posted above, simply searching your Mac for .jar and checking the hits for associated apps might help too.

Remember the .jar may be embedded in a .app package so a simple search may not get a hit.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36574 10/21/15 06:41 PM

Remember the .jar may be embedded in a .app package so a simple search may not get a hit.

so use 'find' in terminal wink

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard