for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AirPort Express and wireless modem
#35859 09/02/15 08:06 AM
OP Online

Verizon just gave me a new D-Link DSL modem that's got a wireless option that I'd like to take advantage of if possible.

The hitch is that it creates its own network and I need to be on my AirPort Express (1st gen "n") network at the same time to use AirPlay.

Is it possible to get the AE to see the D-Link, or must I cable the two?

Thanks.

PS: Is there any real benefit to be gained, i.e. a performance boost, from swapping out my old modem? (Verizon doesn't want it back, so I can just put the new, considerably larger, one away against future need.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: AirPort Express and wireless modem
artie505 #35860 09/02/15 01:22 PM

"on the same network" is fine. Just connect the airport to the ethernet from the DSL modem and select bridge mode instead of dhcp. It will just connect to and extend the network the DSL modem is providing, instead of trying to create its own network.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #35868 09/02/15 10:28 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Just connect the airport to the ethernet from the DSL modem and select bridge mode instead of dhcp. It will just connect to and extend the network the DSL modem is providing, instead of trying to create its own network.

Thanks, but that's not what I'm looking for.

At the moment, my modem connects to my Base Station by ethernet cable and I get internet and AirPlay via the BS network.

What I'd like to do is get the BS to pick up the modem's wi-fi signal and end up in the same position (Edit: and get rid of a component of my "cable jungle" in the process).

Edit: And my other question remains unanswered... If I can't make the wi-fi connection, is there any real reason for me to change modems? The new on has four ethernet ports rather than one, and wi-fi capability, none of which I need, but will it actually perform better in any way, shape, or form?

Last edited by artie505; 09/02/15 10:50 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #35870 09/03/15 01:48 AM

Artie, just keep the same basic arrangement as you have now and don't activate the wireless option on the new DSL modem....it can feed the BS via hardwire just as the old modem did.

FWIW, the new DSL modem will probably work better than the old simply because the DSL firmware and software has evolved beyond those contained in the old modem.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #35871 09/03/15 05:13 AM
OP Online

Thanks for the input.

From it, I infer that if I want to keep my AirPlay I can't use the modem's wi-fi option...I've got to keep it cabled to the Base Station as it is now...no big deal. (I had no doubt that it could be done like that; I was just wondering whether it could be done the other way.)

But what does "the new DSL modem will probably work better than the old" mean?

I know little enough about modems that even if my old one were performing dismally I'd probably have no idea that it was.

I mean, my d/l and u/l speeds are capped and consistent, and I don't regularly experience drop-outs or other recognizably odd behavior, so what could be better or worse? (If there's no compelling reason to switch modems I'll stick with the old, simply because the new is very considerably larger.)

Last edited by artie505; 09/03/15 07:30 AM. Reason: Clarify & expand

artie505 #35872 09/03/15 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
But what does "the new DSL modem will probably work better than the old" mean?

It means more stable, more reliable, and perhaps faster downloads and uploads — even with "capped upload and download rates".

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35873 09/03/15 12:26 PM
OP Online

In that case, it's worth at least a try.

Thanks! smile

joemikeb #35887 09/06/15 07:08 AM
OP Online

I just installed the new modem, and for what it's worth, I see no noticeable difference in either download or upload speed, and since I've never experienced problems that I've thought were either stability or reliability related, I'll have to defer judgement on them.

Edit: I think web pages are loading more quickly.

Last edited by artie505; 09/06/15 09:15 AM.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard