for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Auto-Playing Videos in Safari, Etc.
#33887 04/18/15 02:12 PM
OP Offline

How do we stop these? I keep coming on more and more webpages where the simple act of landing starts a video and scrolling down launches whatever other videos are there. I've had three running simultaneously. What a cacophony!

Yes, there is the mute button. But why should one have to use it?

I have ClickToFlash already. Could not make ClickToPlugin succeed at blocking the videos. The complexities of its settings are above my pay grade.

Any ideas? This is really inconsiderate web design. Intrusive. Insulting, And yes, it IS getting them attention!

Re: Auto-Playing Videos in Safari, Etc.
HappyDog #33888 04/18/15 02:54 PM

I have encountered a few commercial-type videos that I could not bypass. Yes, very annoying. However, most of them have a controller. If you hover your cursor over the video's screen, a control bar should appear at the bottom of that screen. From this you should be able to pause, stop or fast forward.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #33890 04/18/15 03:08 PM
OP Offline

Yes. Using the controllers is an option. But why should one have to scramble to find the right one among (often) more than one.

I would think that enough people will find these intrusions irritating enough for designers to eliminate them.

If Steve were still around, heads would roll.

HappyDog #33900 04/20/15 05:44 AM

It absolutely is inconsiderate and intrusive design. And, unfortunately, it gets more response to the ads than click-to-play ads do. So, advertisers offer Web owners more money to run them.

I personally have a habit of using the "contact us" link on any Web site where I encounter one of these ads to complain to the Web owner. I've received a couple of replies that have told me my complaint made them stop running those ads. smile

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #33902 04/20/15 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
It absolutely is inconsiderate and intrusive design.

"Intrusive" seems to be the order of the day wherever your eyeballs land.

I'm finding that the morning paper often arrives with, instead of a front page containing the lead stories, a full page ad. And they're getting sneakier about it. You used to be able to discard the page as it was a wraparound, but now they print the last two pages of the section's content on it - so you're forced to keep the ad.

Television is even worse. A third of the screen real estate is now being used for the cable company or the originating station to advertise their other programs. To make it worse, the intrusion often includes animation which makes it that much more of a distraction.

Last edited by ryck; 04/20/15 06:15 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
HappyDog #33903 04/20/15 06:19 PM
OP Offline

I may have found a combination of ClickToFlash and ClickToPlugin settings which works. Am not sure which is the critical one. Will take a while to test.

HappyDog #33904 04/20/15 07:11 PM
OP Offline

I have disabled ClickToFlash and enabled ClickToPlugin by itself, setting it as shown in the graphic accompanying this article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2449808/when-auto-play-videos-play-anyway.html

Even if dated, the comments thread here is pretty interesting. Ironically, videos accompanying this article were auto-playing. Readers complained, but were told that advertising and editorial have a 'firewall' between them, i.e. a blockage in the dialogue with users. Evidently, advertisers want to be intrusive.

Steve would fire everyone.

So far, so good using just ClickToPlugin with "Load Plugin if HTML conversion fails" UNCHECKED.

HappyDog #33906 04/20/15 07:59 PM

I second click2flash. I hate auto playing video and especially those incredibly irritating talking ads.

you can whitelist a site to auto play (like youtube) if you want to.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #33911 04/20/15 08:39 PM

I'm not sure if this is pertinent here, wholly or even partially, but I found this on line somewhere:

Quote:
No matter what version you're using - by adding the following to the hosts file:

127.0.0.1 ads.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 s0.2mdn.net
127.0.0.1 s1.2mdn.net
127.0.0.1 googleads.g.doubleclick.net

will block ads and inline video-ads as well... AdBlock is fine "as is" for Safari and the above trick remove anoying inline video ads at YouTube - that's it! You can always go back and edit for something else - it's really that easy!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard