for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hulu
#31612 10/23/14 07:53 PM
OP Offline

I've been trying to use the free Hulu website. I keep getting this message: Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu through an anonymous proxy tool. Hulu is not currently available outside the U.S. If you're in the U.S., you'll need to disable your anonymizer to access videos on Hulu.

If you think you're receiving this message in error, please submit this form.

I've contacted Hulu via email, their "form" and phone and can't seem to get anywhere. Two of their tech guys told me it was on their end and they are working on it. They whitelisted my IP address. I got an email asking if it is working yet. Nope. They block all VPN's now (whatever that is) and my ISP assured me I don't have a VPN. I disabled my extensions like Ghostery, Adblock, etc. I've read where even if you wanted to block Hulu with a firewall, it's difficult.

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe it's just something simple.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Hulu
plantsower #31618 10/24/14 01:58 AM

It probably is at their end.

IPv4 addresses are pretty much exhausted. They were originally allocated in big chunks to different geographical locations, but there aren't any big chunks left. Some that were originally allocated to one continent have been re-allocated to another continent that needs the IP address more. If your IP address is one of these re-allocated addresses, Hulu may still think you're on the originally assigned continent.

If it still doesn't work, keep after them. They have lots of network gear, and so many copies of the tables that map IP address to geographic location. Until they whitelist you and/or update the tables in EVERY box your traffic needs to go through, it won't go through.

Re: Hulu
ganbustein #31620 10/24/14 02:59 AM
OP Offline

Thanks. That was a little over my head but I get the gist of it. Like I said above, they did finally whitelist me, but it didn't make a difference. frown

Rita

Originally Posted By: ganbustein
It probably is at their end.

IPv4 addresses are pretty much exhausted. They were originally allocated in big chunks to different geographical locations, but there aren't any big chunks left. Some that were originally allocated to one continent have been re-allocated to another continent that needs the IP address more. If your IP address is one of these re-allocated addresses, Hulu may still think you're on the originally assigned continent.

If it still doesn't work, keep after them. They have lots of network gear, and so many copies of the tables that map IP address to geographic location. Until they whitelist you and/or update the tables in EVERY box your traffic needs to go through, it won't go through.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard