FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Adobe Flash Player Settings Problem
#26935 09/30/13 02:23 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Since reinstalling my system, I get a strange window on Safari 6.0.5 every time I click to start a video on a news site such as BBC. It says: "Adobe Flash Player Settings"and then "Local Storage." Then "emp.bbci.co.uk is requesting permission to store information on your computer. Requested up to 10KB. Currently Used: 0KB" The requesting party is not always the same one. Different videos seem to have different sources.

This doesn't happen using Firefox. What have I done or not done to get this and how can I get rid of it? I don't find Adobe Flash Player in Utilities, just an install manager. I also have Adobe Flash CS4, but that is closed. I really don't use it.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
Re: Adobe Flash Player Settings Problem
JoBoy #26936 09/30/13 03:42 PM

System Preferences > Flash Player > Storage you have "Ask me before allowing new sites to store information on this computer" checked. The other options are "Allow sites to save information on this computer" and "Block all sites from storing information on this computer". On that same pane there is a link to Learn more about privacy controls" and you may want to peruse that.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
JoBoy #26938 09/30/13 04:04 PM

And to clarify the location of Flash Player—"it is not anywhere accessible". As pointed out in the above post, you can control some aspects of it through its System Preference Pane, but you won't find an actual application anywhere.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #26941 09/30/13 04:31 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

How embarrassing. I'm working against a deadline and messing with this problem at the same time and that is a known dangerous combination. In my haste, I only looked at Safari Preferences and temporarily forgot that System Preferences had some controls for Flash Player. Sheesh. After reading your post, I read the explanations of the choices and selected Block All Sites From Storing Information On This Computer. So far, I've had no problem running the same news videos that were showing the annoying pop up that I complained about. If there are disadvantages to this "extreme" blocking, I haven't discovered them yet. If you know of some, I'd welcome the tip.

Before doing the above, I also went to Adobe Forums and found instructions on How To Perform A "Clean Install" of Flash Player in Mac OS X. I learned that Flash Player lives in Library/Internet Plugins and Library/Application Support. Carefully following instructions, I carefully downloaded and installed a "clean" version of Flash Player, but it didn't cure the problem. Your suggestions did enable what appears to be a cure. I started with Block All Sites because I don't like stuff being planted on my computer if it isn't vital to my use of the computer.

Last edited by JoBoy; 09/30/13 04:51 PM.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
Ira L #26942 09/30/13 04:41 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira L
I agree with your philosophy of learning, but I began my computer life on an IBM 36 Mini and then went to IBM PCs until the Lisa and Mac came along. I bought into the Mac philosophy of not making computer use unnecessarily complex. The Mac's current Console app brings back a lot of memories of battling with complex software before the Mac and the Laser Printer became a pair. I had an IBM Laser Printer that was NOT WYSIWYG and would sometimes need five tries to properly format a document. Of course, IBM was making big bucks charging us by the page printed. It's that old allergy that makes me not want to play with Console unless there's no other way.

JoBoy #26954 10/01/13 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: JoBoy
It's that old allergy that makes me not want to play with Console unless there's no other way.

I agree with you. The Console application can be a blessing or a curse and I too tend to shy away from it.

I was only commenting that some of the suggestions made in a different thread (in which I made my learning observations) were comparatively benign and easy to do.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard