for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ghostery innovation...
#26913 09/27/13 11:36 PM
OP Online

I visit any number of Websites that I can't view in their entirety without disabling Ghostery, and I just ran across this for the first time; I assume it came with the recent update.

This is the first option I've ever seen to block Ghostery...either entirely or one bug at a time. (The two small icons are "Allow once and reload" and "Allow and reload," and clicking on the second one permanently - until re-enabled, at least - disabled the Disqus bug for all Websites.)

I guess it's a site by site thing with owners having to code in the option?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Ghostery innovation...
artie505 #26916 09/28/13 01:47 AM

Ghostery's 'Click-to-Play' functionality is a feature introduced with v5.0.0 for Safari sometime during the past month. It resembles the Click-to-Flash and Click-to-Plugin approach, although I don't know if the implementations are comparable. That said, it too seems to be working client-side rather than server-side, contrary to what you suspected.

As to the buttons you noticed while blocking certain page elements, it's not clear exactly which ones are included beyond 'commonly used visual elements such as commenting systems (Disqus) or other widgets (like Soundcloud)'. Perhaps that's why they aren't ubiquitous.

alternaut moderator
Re: Ghostery innovation...
alternaut #26917 09/28/13 06:12 AM
OP Online

Thanks for the link to info I had already read and promptly forgotten about. tongue

You're obviously correct about Ghostery's functioning client-side, but I questioned it because I get the place-marker on the page to which I originally linked, but not on this page, despite the fact that disabling Ghostery makes the blocked content visible; I guess it's a function of the lack of ubiquity you mentioned. (Disqus is the culprit on my original linked Website.)

PS: I just realized that Ghostery's site-specific unblocking works by clicking on the appropriate checkmark in its drop-down...not totally intuitive; I wonder why they didn't just use a third icon to accompany the existing two.

Edit: I obviously never watched the vid. blush

Last edited by artie505; 09/28/13 08:49 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard