for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Does this extension/command exist?
#25315 03/10/13 09:04 AM
OP Online

New bookmarks added to my bookmark bar (Safari 5.1.7) go to the left end by default, which is a nuisance, because it throws using command-# to visit Websites out of whack by constantly changing the numbers of my permanent items.

Has anybody ever run across either en extension or Terminal command that will make newly added bookmarks go to the right end of the bar?

My searching was fruitless. frown

Thanks

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Does this extension/command exist?
artie505 #25318 03/10/13 07:28 PM

I never hotkey bookmark adding - I always just drag it up into the toolbar.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #25330 03/10/13 11:19 PM

What does "using command-# to visit Websites" mean?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #25331 03/10/13 11:38 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

What does "using command-# to visit Websites" mean?

Clarification: Individual bookmarks (as opposed to folders) in my bookmarks bar react to command-1, 2, 3..., from left to right, to load Websites (so you can see how new ones going to the left screws things up).

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Virtual1 #25337 03/11/13 06:28 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I never hotkey bookmark adding - I always just drag it up into the toolbar.

I'm sure I've run across that suggestion in the past, but it never registered, perhaps because it never occurred to me that dragging/dropping generated a "shorten the bookmark" dialog box, as I just discovered it does.

For lack of alternatives, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks.

artie505 #25338 03/11/13 11:08 AM

If you're willing to go to a certain amount of trouble, you can assign permanent keyboard shortcuts to each of your bookmarks bar (non-folder) bookmarks via System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Application Shortcuts. Just type the name of the bookmark in the Menu Title field.

Caveat #1: It seems that ⌘-1, ⌘-2, etc. are reserved for the first ten (non-folder) items in the bookmarks bar; these commands are not overridden by reassignment to specific entries. But when I used ^⌘-1, ^⌘-2, etc., they worked as expected.

Caveat #2: Earlier versions of Safari apparently require that the bookmarks bar menu in which the commands appear (Bookmarks -> Bookmarks Bar) be displayed once each time Safari is launched before these user-assigned shortcuts are functional. The blog post where I discovered this solution is over two years old; the bug discussed therein appears not to be present in Safari 6.

Edit: I was wrong about Safari 6; the same bug applies. The menu must be displayed following a relaunch before the commands become functional. In any case, not too much of a penalty for those whose uptimes are days or weeks at a time. Overcoming the ⌘-n muscle memory is probably the greater issue...

Last edited by dkmarsh; 03/11/13 11:14 AM.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #25363 03/12/13 05:32 AM
OP Online

Thanks for that, but it doesn't help me; I never have as many as 10, let alone more, permanent individual bookmarks, but I've filed the idea away against future need. (It would be marvelous if it worked with bookmark folders. frown )

V1's drag & drop enables me to edit my new bookmarks and get them to the right end of my bar with minimal effort, and I can keep my permanent items where I want them knowing that the same command-n will always launch them, so I'll stick with that arrangement.

As they have so often, your research skills have once again amazed me. cool

(Strange: When I began playing with this last night I experienced the bug, but I haven't been able to replicate it tonight. confused )

artie505 #25394 03/14/13 11:16 PM

you can drag and drop a bookmark into a folder, but unfortunately there's no "spring open" action to drop it into a more deeply nested folder. that's the major drawback for me.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #25399 03/14/13 11:37 PM
OP Online

Thanks for mentioning that; I haven't had occasion to run afoul of it yet.

I guess that's when command-D becomes useful.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard