for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Is this common?
#25221 03/02/13 07:47 AM
OP Online

Running OS X 10.6.8/Mail 4.6 (1085) I've been frustrated for a while by the Activity window occasionally opening when I try to open a draft e-mail.

I thought I was hitting a wrong key combo, but since I could never figure out what it was by trial and error it finally occurred to me to cruise Mail's menu bar, and I found this.

It's the first time I've ever seen the same key command used twice, for two different purposes, in one app, and it strikes me as quite odd.

Has anybody run across this before?

PS: It looks like command-O opens the Activity window only if Mail is in the process of fetching mail when it's hit, and that the window must be invoked from the menu bar otherwise.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Is this common?
artie505 #25226 03/02/13 01:11 PM

one's a letter O, the other is the digit 0

Usually if you assign the same hotkey to more than one menu, the first one gets it. None of the languages I've used allow a menu handler to "pass" on a menu selection. (and allow another one at a higher level or further point to have a shot at it) This "pass" behavior can work for things like mouse clicks. If a control doesn't want the click, the parent control can have it. if no control wants it, the window can have it. If the window doesn't want it, the app can have a crack at it. etc

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: Is this common?
Virtual1 #25232 03/02/13 05:16 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
one's a letter O, the other is the digit 0

Well, duuuh!

I thought I had tried every key combo in the vicinity, but I obviously missed command-zero. blush

Thanks

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard