for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hovering over links
#25140 02/25/13 09:34 PM
OP Offline

Mt. Lion has an aggravating habit of opening links even if I accidentally have my cursor near/on them. I am forever having to revert to the previous page because it's always changing. I have to be careful where I leave my curser when reading a page because otherwise it will change to the linked info. Is there a way to disable this?

Thanks.

Rita

Last edited by cyn; 02/26/13 10:46 AM. Reason: Topic moved from the "Mac OS X 10.6.x & 10.7.x & 10.8.x" forum to the "Networking" forum.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Hovering over links
plantsower #25150 02/25/13 11:39 PM

It sounds as if you're experiencing the overly-sensitive-trackpad phenomenon, wherein the finger with which you moved the cursor over the link lifts off of the trackpad ever so slightly, then contacts it again, and the trackpad reads this as a tap. Happens to me a lot.

Assuming I'm correct that you've got "Tap to click" enabled in System Preferences -> Trackpad, you could always try disabling it, which would mean you'd have to make a definite click to open a link. This would pretty much eliminate those accidental page changes, but you might find that having to firmly click to produce all those actions you've become accustomed to initiating with a mere tap is a cure that's worse than the disease.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #25153 02/26/13 02:02 AM
OP Offline

Hi:

I unchecked Tap to Click. Thanks so much. I doubt I will regret it because I've been clicking for too many years. It's nice to not have unwanted links opened.

Rita

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

It sounds as if you're experiencing the overly-sensitive-trackpad phenomenon, wherein the finger with which you moved the cursor over the link lifts off of the trackpad ever so slightly, then contacts it again, and the trackpad reads this as a tap. Happens to me a lot.

Assuming I'm correct that you've got "Tap to click" enabled in System Preferences -> Trackpad, you could always try disabling it, which would mean you'd have to make a definite click to open a link. This would pretty much eliminate those accidental page changes, but you might find that having to firmly click to produce all those actions you've become accustomed to initiating with a mere tap is a cure that's worse than the disease.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #25155 02/26/13 02:33 AM

It took me a good while to get used to "tap to click", but once I did I hate going to another computer where I have to really "CLICK". Yes, I still occasionally tap when I don't mean to and it is annoying. On the other hand, I have finally learned to keep my fingers "nice and high" as they tried unsuccessfully to teach me to do in teletype class in the military and my typing is more accurate.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard