FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dual Band Networks
#20136 01/17/12 05:38 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

In a router setup that includes both 2.4 and 5 Ghz on the wireless network, what are some examples of hardware that can take advantage of the 5Ghz band, or both bands (e.g., iPhones, wireless printers, laptops?)

Is some hardware restricted to only 2.4?

Is some hardware switchable by the user, or automatically by its own system?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: Dual Band Networks
Ira L #20142 01/17/12 09:30 PM

Other than the Airport Extreme Base Station and the Time Capsule I am not aware of any device that can use both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands simultaneously. Not only can they simultaneously create a network on both bands they can also create a "Guest" network on the 2.4 GHz band that provides internet access without access to the local area network your devices are on.

Older Airport Express base stations are 2.4GHz only but the later 802.11n Airport Express base stations can join or create either 2.4 or 5GHz band networks but not simultaneously.

All recent Macintosh computers can operate on either the 2.4 or 5GHz band but not simultaneously. If both bands are present, the user can manually select which to join and in System Preferences > Network > Advanced you can specify the preferred network to join by dragging it to the top of the lists of networks that have been joined. Although in my experience if the signal strength of one band is materially stronger than the other that may override the preference setting.

All models of the iPhone, up to and including the iPhone 4s and the iPod Touch are 2.4GHz band only.

Both the iPad and iPad II can operate on either the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands - but not simultaneously. In this case you can choose the band in settings, but if you have ever joined the other band then it will automatically join the band it sees first.

As far as printers and other wireless devices, check with the manufacturer, but in most cases it is probably safe to say they are 2.4GHz and probably 802.11b/g but not 802.11n. At least those I have any experience with are that way.

When you setup the Airport Extreme or Time Capsule to create a network on each band, each will have a slightly different name. By default the 5GHz band network will have "5GHz" appended to the network name. However any device on the 2.4GHz band network will see all the devices on the 5GHz band network and vice-versa. So in this case, although there may be two network names, one for each band, they are in fact the same network and the name is simply a convenience for choosing the band.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Dual Band Networks
joemikeb #20147 01/18/12 06:03 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Joemikeb.

I was not looking for simultaneous use of the bands, but the option for the hardware to be able to use either, and your response answered my questions.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard