for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Another email mystery
#15659 05/20/11 02:26 PM
OP Offline

Another email weirdo for the very clever people here.

We kept getting emails (all from the same place) to a non-existent name@ourdomain.com address. They were all trapped but I tired of having to delete them so often.

Thinking myself v. clever, I then set up the address they were all going to, i.e., subs@ourdomain.com, and then went in there and Blacklisted them.

This worked for about a week. Now to my disbelief, these pesky marketing emails are still coming in but have made it through to another layer - the place on secure webmail where I can see what's waiting for each email address, what's been delivered, what's in spam. They're therefore not being blacklisted at point of arrival, but have (how can I put it?) wriggled through.

They're all from

Nu Skin Enterprises Singapore <singaporenetexpress@nuskin.com>

I even briefly checked out that website but went no further than the home page. I have no idea who they are, have no interest in them whatsoever, and have now tried several times to get them to Go Away For Ever, as described above.

What else can I do, and, why didn't my technique work?

I hope that makes sense to someone, and thanks in advance.

Re: Another email mystery
Bensheim #15663 05/20/11 04:50 PM

- you haven't said how you were blackllisting them.

- if at the start they were not being addressed to anyone there, why was your mailserver accepting them, and where were they placed?

- show us the full headers, it's common for spam to be CC or BCC'd to a large number of people. I'd bet they are being addressed differently than you think they are

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #15665 05/20/11 05:58 PM
OP Offline

Blacklisting in the usual way,

copy+paste off blacklist for that address

singaporenetexpress\@nuskin\.com

I'll be happy to show the headers, but will have to wait for another one to arrive - which it will. I just deleted the latest batch.

In the meanwhile, I'm more than suspicious. Their emails always contain an attachment............. and that's why I went no further than the home page on their (alleged) website.

Bensheim #15667 05/20/11 07:45 PM

Your Nu Skin is the organization with which an old friend of mine was associated a bunch of years ago; my recollection is that its US arm had ties to the Mormons.

It is a legit cult type of sales organization...one of those sales pyramid schemes in which the guys at the top make a bunch of bucks off the labors of the guys at the bottom - You know them; they're the ones with the stars in their eyes. - who make more or less zilch.

That said, their e-mails may have an "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom that you may have overlooked or never even thought to look for, and since they are a legit organization I'd think that there'd be no risk in clicking on it if it's there.

Hope this helps.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #15675 05/21/11 05:57 PM
OP Offline

Thanks to your help, Artie, I've now done this:

As I knew they would, some more arrived today. I found a way to display all headers/file information and there was a convoluted way to unsubscribe. I have now sent three unsubscribe emails and none of them have bounced back.

What baffles me is the email add they were writing to. It only existed for a few months on someone else's website which closed years ago. Therefore (it seems to me) they have web-crawling emailaddress-searching devices which seek out email addresses on the net, and then bombard them for YEARS with, frankly, rubbish.

What's the difference between that and spam?

Bensheim #15676 05/21/11 08:08 PM

None at all. that IS spam.

It's also illegal under US CAN-SPAm law. I'd suggest writing to dnsadmin@nuskin.com and let them know they're spamming oyu in violation of the law.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #15693 05/23/11 05:38 PM
OP Offline

Hi Tacit

They've stopped. <hooray!>

Years of being plagued by this, (well, being nuisanced by this) and now three days without a single one.

Whatever I did, I should have done it earlier.

Thank you FTM.

Bensheim #15695 05/23/11 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
Hi Tacit

They've stopped. <hooray!>

Years of being plagued by this, (well, being nuisanced by this) and now three days without a single one.

Whatever I did, I should have done it earlier.

Thank you FTM.

cool

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard