for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
File name extensions
#15608 05/16/11 05:21 PM
OP Offline

Someone (sigh) has emailed me an invoice with a .lnk extension.

I have now converted it (one at a time, trial and error) to .txt, .doc, .pages, and tried to open it in Word, Pages, even AppleWorks, but without success.

I've never heard of a .lnk extension and found this:

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/lnk

which isn't much help.

(keeping calm, takes deep breathe). Why the * send invoices out in this format and not .pdf, as I do?

I hope it's some stupid error on their part. I've requested re-transmit in .pdf or just FAX it over!

thanks for reading.

Re: File name extensions
Bensheim #15610 05/16/11 05:45 PM

It seems the invoicer sent you an alias rather than (a copy of) the original invoice file. Happens in the best of families... wink Your request to re-transmit may produce the same result, and if so you might want to be more specific as to what the problem is next time around.

alternaut moderator
Bensheim #15611 05/16/11 05:46 PM

LNK is a windows alias. it contains no information of use to you, it is merely an indicator of where the actual document exists on the computer of the person that sent it to you. they will need to find the original and send that instead. In dwindows, they need to select the lnk, right click, show properties, and I believe "show original" or "find original". then drag THAT into their email.

But you'd expect their email app would be smart enough to resolve aliases. maybe they were using their web browser with gmail or something that didn't resolve aliases?

hrmf. alternaut ninja'd me.

Last edited by Virtual1; 05/16/11 05:47 PM.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #15613 05/16/11 06:10 PM
OP Offline

I finally got the email open and it shows me an address on their C: drive.........therefore it ain't a Mac.

Forgive me for sounding so irritable, but I am busy at work, and this has taken up far too much time today - trying to open an invoice, a single item - and then posting on here about it where I knew I would get sensible and informed responses for which THANK YOU!

FWIW, the first time he/she sent me the invoice, there was no attached invoice. I had to reply with "please attach the attachment". FWIW(2) this relates to attendance at a conference, whereby (wherein?) this same person emailed over a promotional code to get a discounted rate at the conference hotel. The promotional code was not recognised = did not work and we had to pay Full Rack Rate.

Since you don't know who I'm talking about I will say this: Some people should not be let loose on internet transactions.

Or, it was only a mistake, and everyone makes mistakes. Give out the wrong promotional code for a big conference so they end up paying more - a mistake. Invoice people with the wrong file extension so they can't open the invoice - a mistake.

ok

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard