for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
'Tis a puzzlement...
#12596 10/29/10 12:03 PM
OP Online

Something's blocking videos such as The Official Simon's Cat Website | Films | The Box from running in Safari 5.0.2, and my best guess is that it may be one of my Flash settings, but none of them sounds like it's the one.

I don't see any ClickToFlash markers YouTube videos play just fine, and AdBlock is apparently not involved. confused

Can anybody offer up any suggestions or guesses?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: 'Tis a puzzlement...
artie505 #12597 10/29/10 12:49 PM

Quote:
I don't see any ClickToFlash markers YouTube videos play just fine, and AdBlock is apparently not involved.

If by "ClickToFlash markers" you mean the gray rectangle with the gear icon in the upper left corner and the Flash button in the middle, I don't know why you're not seeing it; that's what I see, although the button reads "YouTube" at first, and only switches to "Flash" once my cursor moves inside the gray rectangle.

When the button is clicked, the movie loads as expected.

(As for AdBlock, I do have the Block ads inside YouTube videos option checked, but got an ad nevertheless...for cat scans. crazy )

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #12603 10/29/10 08:12 PM
OP Online

Thanks for giving me a direction in which to look; I'll post back (being optimistic here) when I figure out what's going on.

I've been to that site before, and it worked; I also just had the same problem with a Simon's Cat video on a different site. confused

As for that AdBlock pref, it is marked Beta."

(Edit: Maybe you ought to report your appropriately placed, but nonetheless unwanted, ad to Mike Gundlach.)

Last edited by artie505; 10/29/10 08:13 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #12604 10/29/10 08:45 PM
OP Online

Got it! smile

I went through my extensions and found that I'd checked an Incognito option to block "Embedded YouTube movies (sic)."

Hmmm... I assumed the videos on the Simon's Cats website were hosted there, not embedded YouTube videos, but I should have suspected the opposite when I also couldn't view a video on an unrelated site.

(Now... How does that option fit into Incognito's mission to "Protect your online privacy: Incognito prevents Google and Facebook from following you on the web"?)

artie505 #12605 10/29/10 09:03 PM

Just guessing here, but since Google owns YouTube, I'd suspect that the point of blocking embedded YouTube movies is to prevent Google from learning that you've visited the page in which such a movie is embedded. Otherwise, when you load the movie you linked to, for example, Google (via YouTube) sees that the referrer is The Official Simon's Cat Website.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #12607 10/29/10 11:25 PM
OP Online

Sounds reasonable in its unreasonableness.

Thanks.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard