FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Network Attached Storage Solution
#6580 12/11/09 07:34 AM
Sturner Offline OP
OP Offline

I have just recently found a relatively inexpensive way to create an NAS (network attached storage) for my home LAN. Most NAS drives are rather expensive. I had a 500GB Western Digital external USB drive that I wanted to serve as a media streaming/central storage area for iTunes as well as a place to exchange files on my home network and backup to for the Macs and the Thinkpad my wife uses.

My solution has been the SimpleTech SimpleNET NAS Head
USB 2.0 Portable Dongle. It is relatively inexpensive, allows 2 USB drives to be attached, and connects by a single 100TX ethernet connection to my network.

The only drawback seems to be that it won't work if the drive is formatted as HFS+, it has to be NTFS. Then it works nicely.

I thought I'd post this for any who were in my boat and couldn't find a simple solution for network drives.

There are 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Re: Network Attached Storage Solution
Sturner #6604 12/11/09 07:40 PM

the "free" solution others use is simply plug it into one of your computers on the lan and turn on file sharing.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: Network Attached Storage Solution
Virtual1 #6619 12/12/09 05:58 AM
Sturner Offline OP
OP Offline

This doesn't require any other computer to be on, besides the one accessing the drives. It is a server. It also removes any overhead on a hosting computer through sharing.

There are 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard