Yes don't give me too hard of a time. I have one of those "gumstick" usb apple modems as a backup or for when I'm traveling etc. (and I DO need to use it usually several times/yr) But it stopped working. The modem is fine, in fact it works fine when I boot off another hard drive, but not when I login as a new user, so it's an OS issue.

What it does: I select to connect. The menu widget expands and goes to "connecting..." for a second or two and then immediately to "disconnecting..." and then back to idle. Just about as much happens if I try to connect from within network prefs. I've tried creating a new network location, no help. Nothing at all in console or any log I can find.

I was on the phone with a level 2 tech at apple (since none of the lvl 1's know what a "modem" is) and he walked me through deleting/recreating the port, various generic fixes, and helped me nuke my network settings (and all 12 of my locations... *sigh*) and it didn't help. His final suggestion was A&I. I really don't want to do that. I have a folder in my home with a 53-step process to get things back to normal after A&I and so I consider that a last resort option. (takes about an entire day considering all the installers and updates to run, and some of the installs do not go willingly)

Running 10.5.8. Any suggestions? I know I've seen this happen before with other machines and A&I was the only thing I found at the time to fix it.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department