FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone conferenced on Zoom?
#54981 06/20/20 10:57 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Hopefully this falls under 'etc' for this forum.

I participated in a Zoom conference, using my iMac, but could not get audio. I assumed that I must have the wrong input selected and wanted to check via System Preferences >Sound >Input. However, Zoom does not make it easy.

The Zoom program filled the entire screen and I could not see a way to reduce the Zoom image in order to go to my Dock. Therefore I had to "Leave" the meeting, make my Input selection and rejoin the meeting each time.

It was even more aggravating because neither of the options gave me the audio. In the end I tried to log into the meeting with my iPad and, lo and behold, that worked. However, it was not a fully satisfactory solution as participation was severely limited with the iPad keyboard.

This is going to be a monthly occurrence, so I'd like to get it sorted out. If anyone has used Zoom, is there a way to reduce the amount of screen real estate it occupies? Also, any idea why was audio not available on either of the inputs?

Could this be a Firewall issue?

Last edited by ryck; 06/20/20 11:00 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Anyone conferenced on Zoom?
ryck #54982 06/21/20 03:10 AM

Offhand, if you haven’t seriously changed the basic settings, I doubt your audio problem was a firewall issue. If you use comms security utilities like Oversight, you may want to make sure they don’t interfere. That said, have you tried the Zoom Help Center, and specifically the clip on Joining & Configuring Audio & Video for an answer? The latter addresses adjustment options within your Zoom window. If necessary, more help on audio and video can be found under Audio, video, sharing. Finally, it helps to use the latest available version (currently 5.1.0), as Zoom is rapidly developing.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #55002 06/22/20 01:15 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I tried the first two links while trying to attend. The first was oriented toward iOS or Android and the second didn't get me to a solution, although I will admit I was in a hurry... given the meeting was underway.

Could it be that the iMac audio inputs are not relevant if I am connecting via a link provided by the meeting administrator? I think about the fact that I never have to check the audio input when following any other kind of link. The audio is always just "there" even though my machine's input is almost always Microphone, and the other two inputs (Apowersoft_AudioDevice, USB AUDIO CODEC) don't sound remotely correct.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #55008 06/22/20 10:05 PM

Hi Ryck,

I've been using Zoom quite a bit this past several weeks.....and although it wasn't two-way where I NEEDED to speak to the other participants, I recall that the normal Zoom default is to MUTE your outbound audio unless you press and hold the space bar to allow your mike to be "live".

My wife video conferences on Zoom for her remote work weekly meetings and has been doing so for longer than just the period of forced remote isolation brought about by this pandemic response.....she had a recent request for me to help her with a particular issue (choosing a background image), and was VERY surprised to find out that things worked much differently when using the Zoom application rather than using your browser to Zoom conference.....so if you haven't discovered this for yourself yet, I strongly recommend using the Zoom application over using the Zoom conference in a browser window.

The Zoom application actually has a Preferences Menu item that should allow you to test your audio and video inputs prior to attending a meeting.....something which is lacking when using the browser to Zoom confer (this is also where you can find the option to NOT start with full screen!)

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #55012 06/23/20 02:13 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
....and was VERY surprised to find out that things worked much differently when using the Zoom application rather than using your browser to Zoom conference.....so if you haven't discovered this for yourself yet, I strongly recommend using the Zoom application over using the Zoom conference in a browser window.

Sounds good. Thank you for that....will give it a try at the July meeting.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard