FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Firefox prints only the first page
#52468 09/18/19 06:13 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Ah, printing web pages. The old chestnut. Printing web pages. I could write a book about all the problems and subjects involved in what ought to be a simple task.

I did get a new printer, but I don't think that has anything to do with it, having had no other problems with it. For some reason I thought there would be fewer problems with a new printer. What was I thinking? This is a Firefox problem. One that has recurred many times in my life. Although I find it absurd that people use anything but Firefox, it does have quirks.

I'm trying to print a receipt from Home Depot, which they require anytime you pick up or return a purchase. It's two pages but Firefox wants to print only the first.

I followed the troubleshooting steps on the Firefox web site. No dice. Slash and burn. I deleted (maybe) all traces of Firefox from my computer, downloaded and installed the latest version. New add-ons, new everything. Nope. Problem remains. The more obvious attempts include shrinking the page 50%, which gives the whole receipt on one page except that it is too small to read. I can copy-paste, but you know how that looks—like a ransom note. If I'm going to give a store a receipt, it ought to look like the real thing.

Some web sites have their own print icon. I have noticed this can either solve problems or cause them depending on the circumstance. Home Depot has one, but it made no difference. In ProtonMail you have to use the print icon if you want a correct print. Same with some airlines.

Re: Firefox prints only the first page
deniro #52469 09/18/19 08:05 PM

That problem is not unique to Firefox and is at least in part a function of how the HTML that generates the page is written. A trick I have often used in your specific situation is to download the page (or better yet the content of the page if possible) and then print using Preview.

NOTE: Preview will not yield a continuous print and will have headers and footers but it should be more than adequate to satisfy Home Depot. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/18/19 08:51 PM. Reason: Add Note

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard